Starting date: August 2020
Duration: 12 months with possible extension
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with regular field visits and regional travel
To enhance and strengthen the Movements capacity in the area of humanitarian assistance in the urban context and to contribute to development and testing of new or improved approaches as well as its integration in the broader area of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Forecast based Financing (FbF), Climate Change and resilience
agenda in collaboration with National Societies.
The position’s focus will be to support both the IFRC and German Red Cross (GRC) thematic cooperation with the German Federal Foreign Office. The cooperation aims at further developing and strengthening the approaches in the area of Humanitarian Assistance in the Urban Context.
By doing so the position will strengthen the technical support for the GRC projects but also the wider movement activities. Furthermore, it is envisaged that the position supports the coordination and collaboration between German humanitarian actors in the area of Humanitarian Assistance in the Urban Context in Africa.
Main duties & responsibilities:
Provide technical support and coordination to National Societies, Partner National Societies (PNS) and IFRC offices:
- Analyze the capacities and approaches of National Societies in the areas of working in urban environments, humanitarian Disaster Risk Reduction as well as anticipation in humanitarian action, to identify areas in which IFRC & GRC could provide stronger support;
- Engage with other PNSs to coordinate activities/interests/approaches on country, regional, and HQ level;
- Identify and develop operational best practices and relevant learnings that can serve as blueprint for further technical engagement and linked policies;
- Enhance and identify opportunities for testing and implementing tools and methodologies for humanitarian action in urban areas and conflict settings. Support related research and ensure that the quality of data collected for research is of sufficient standard;
- Ensure information and knowledge management for the region and contribute to information and knowledge management on a global level;
- Maintain and extend the external network related to Disaster Risk Reduction, urban risk, community engagement, climate adaptation etc.;
- Support the implementation of the One Billion Coalition Campaign within Africa with special attention to the Urban Context.
Strategies, Partnerships and Planning
- Lead the development of a specific advocacy strategy for the region that considers the urban context;
- Advocate for Humanitarian Assistance in the Urban Context through evidence-based validation, including among NS, IFRC offices and partners;
- Initiate and/or continue the collaboration and coordination with the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team in the region to strengthen the cooperation between the RCRC community and the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Community;
- Advise NS, partners and IFRC offices in West Africa, Sahel, Southern and Eastern Africa on a common approach for integrating Humanitarian Assistance in the Urban Context into their strategies;
- Contribute to planning and resource mobilization, e.g. prepare concept notes, lead/participate in Humanitarian Assistance in the Urban Context related project/program proposal development.
Support learning and knowledge management:
- Facilitate knowledge sharing on Humanitarian Assistance in the Urban Context;
- Promote increased understanding of Humanitarian Assistance in the Urban Context among NS, IFRC offices and partners;
- Coordinate and support RCRC participation and/or represent at relevant platforms on Urban Response & Resilience Building, DRR, CCA, FbF and EWEA in the region;
- Contribute to the lessons learnt processes on improving the relevance and effectiveness of FbF, and document achievements and lessons learnt from FbF programs and operations in the region in Urban Context;
- Identify and document innovative Humanitarian Assistance in the Urban Context tools/approaches and lessons learnt based on a defined analytical framework to share them within the RCRC community and the wider humanitarian world;
- Support selected Humanitarian Organizations working in the urban context with the aim to contribute to GRC thematic cooperation’s with the German Federal Foreign Officeand broadly the RCRC movement ambitions on Climate actions.
Duties applicable to all staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the IFRC Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
- Relevant post-graduate university degree
- 5 years’ experience in humanitarian sector technical level related to DRR programming – especially in the Urban Context, institutional preparedness capacity strengthening initiatives, emergency response operations and Early Warning Early Action systems
- Good understanding of the IFRC
- Good understanding of the global humanitarian environment
- Experience in working for a humanitarian aid organization
- Experience in coordinating with authorities and other humanitarian actors
- Experience in narrative and financial reporting and proposal writing
- Experience in the African region
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent communication, organization and facilitation skills
- Valid international driving licence (Manual gears)
- Self-supporting in relevant software solutions
- Skills in developing and training staff
- Skills in negotiation and building relations
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Fluency in French is an added value
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months
period of assignment. You will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment.