To grow and retain a portfolio of high value commercial relationships by performing a proactive, mobile, value adding financial partnership role, ensuring that close personal attention is given to
providing a full array of customised financial solutions and services tailored to meet the growth needs and potential of the portfolio.
- Profitable Growth in Sales
- Providing advice on, promoting, selling and structuring a wide and diverse range of financial solutions customised to best meet the financial needs of high value commercial customers.
- Selling includes acquiring and opening new business accounts on a face-to-face basis, as well as Cross-selling additional value added solutions to the existing portfolio to assist clients in growing their businesses
- Identifying and taking ownership of sales leads generated for associate Group company stakeholders e.g. Vehicle and Asset Finance; Electronic Banking; Bancassurance/wealth management (where available) etc. to ensure a quick and knowledgeable response.
- Mining and analysing customer data to identify and plan for expansion and/or additional business opportunities.
- Developing and implementing a client calling schedule to visit all clients in the portfolio.
- Identifying opportunities to migrate top-end relationships.
- Customer Service Quality and Efficiency
- Providing a central advisory/information/ query handling service point for the portfolio.
- Performing a proactive liaison role between customers and back office service fulfilment and credit functions.
- Interacting frequently and closely with all clients to analyse and establish ongoing needs and to assist clients to better understand their financial requirements.
- Accurately and efficiently processing customer mandates/ documentation requirements for financial facilities.
- Lending Support and Risk Management
- Planning and implementing annual credit reviews for the portfolio.
- Explaining and structuring/ customising credit loan facility options, parameters and qualifying criteria.
- Supporting customers in the completion of credit application information requirements, e.g. balance sheets, financial statements and management accounts.
- Motivating and processing non-scored credit applications.
- Notifying customers regarding the approval/ decline of credit loan facilities.
- Exploring alternative solutions in the event of declines from Credit.
- Monitoring of daily referrals to ensure that client facilities are managed within the parameters set by Credit. Exercising discretion regarding account conduct based on a close knowledge and understanding of client activities.
- Managing and controlling industry sector, client exposure, and securities held to contain risk.
- Compliance with Legislation
- Compliance with general banking and Credit policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with KYC requirements.
- Responsible for the implementation and adoption (within Branch, Department or Section) of all Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions related requirements contained in policies, procedures and processes. This includes the consideration and approval of PEP on-boarding and continued business engagement in instances where no adverse information is available.
- People Management
- Managing the Account Analyst to ensure that work standards and quality work output targets are set, achieved and maintained.
- Managing the performance contribution of support staff.
- Identifying strengths and development areas and ensuring that support staff receive the requisite learning and skills development interventions.
- Proactively coaching and mentoring subordinates
Key dimensions of the job (to be completed by each Portfolio)
- Size & Complexity of Portfolio: 74 – 90 relationships
- Customer contribution: Above R70,000 per annum
- Annual revenue: Typically greater than US$800,000 per annum
- Lending: Non-scored
- Growth Potential: High growth potential, low share of wallet
- Service: Proactive partnership with personal attention
- Location: Serviced at customer premises
- Building ongoing close relationships with high value customers in the portfolio, as well as with various commercial business associations, is a critical requirement for the purpose of generating ongoing credibility, income and positive sentiment for the bank.
- The attainment of work results is critically affected by the ability to proactively market and sell complex specialised and/or customised financial structures and solutions in a highly competitive environment.
- Strengthening and leveraging well developed internal networks with group specialists and specialist consultants from associated Group companies & Business Units e.g. CIB, Agriculture, Electronic Banking, Bancassurance / Wealth (where available) and Vehicle and Asset Finance etc, is critical to the successful development of customised and tailor-made financial solutions that span the full spectrum of multi-product offerings.
- Leveraging internal networks with the Business Centre, Retail Branch staff, back-office Account Support/ fulfilment centre staff, Retail Credit Centre and Business Banking management stakeholders, as well as Group Legal specialists (when needed) is central to the successful delivery of a simpler, better faster service.
- The relationship with Credit needs to be an excellent one.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
Relevant Business related Degree from recognised University, particularly in the Commercial field (Business flavour)
- Previous portfolio relationship management experience (5-7 years in total) as a Business Manager and/or Account Executive managing a portfolio is preferable. This experience provides an understanding of how businesses operate, as well as understanding the business risks, industry risks and financial requirements pertaining to the commercial market.
- A minimum of 6 months previous working experience in Credit is preferable to gain practical exposure to lending principles and to establish credible relationships.
- Strong numerical skills and financial acumen to analyse, evaluate and identify trends in complex consolidated financial statements, balance sheets and ratios.
- A sound understanding of cash - flow cycles pertaining to the industry being analysed.
- A good knowledge of financial spreadsheet applications (e.g. Excel) to capture and analyse financial data.
- Good knowledge of general banking practices and procedures.
- A good understanding of the principles and practices of business economics and the current business economic environment.
- A good current knowledge of different industry sectors and sector risk profiles/ trends; this includes an understanding of the impact of climactic conditions on the agricultural market (if there are agric clients in the portfolio).
- A thorough knowledge of multi-level products available to business banking customers (features & benefits) and pricing structures.
- A good knowledge of financial investment options, vehicle and asset finance and electronic banking options for lead generation purposes.
- Good knowledge of Personal Banking product offerings.
- A good knowledge of competitor offerings and structures.
- A sound knowledge and understanding of Credit principles and practices, including an understanding of credit application, securities and balance sheet requirements.
- A strong working knowledge of the terms and conditions of multiple legal entities (companies, close corporations, sole proprietorships etc.) in the commercial market and the legislative restrictions & requirements governing these from a financial services perspective.
- Sound understanding of current taxation laws as they apply to the portfolio of customers.
- A good working knowledge of administration processes and procedures pertaining to Business Banking transactions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of how to use the Group Reference Guide to access/ look up relevant information.
Business Knowledge and Contribution
- Risk Management
- Project Management
- People Management
- Financial Management
- Change Management
- Knowledge Management
- Delivering Results
- Serving Our Customers
- Communicating with Impact
- Working in teams
- Building Relationships