The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization to promote international co-operation. A replacement for the ineffective League of Nations, the organization was established on 24 October 1945.
The Special Envoy aims at building accountability in the region by working with a vast spectrum of political, social, and economic partners. The success of the Office of the Special Envoy in achieving these objectives depends largely on its ability to reach out to the regional stakeholders using appropriate communication tools in order to raise awareness around the PSC Framework in the region, and to encourage greater engagement from all parties involved.
The Public Information Unit of the Office of the Special Envoy has developed a number of communication tools to help advance the mandate of the Special Envoy. As such, a public website and social media platforms have been set up to give visibility to the activities of the Office and to raise awareness about the PSC Framework. This process requires technical expertise and proficiency in web design, programming, development, and maintenance.
An Information, Communication Technology (ICT)/Web Design & Management specialist is needed to give appropriate support to the communication activities of the Office. He or she shall also provide support in numerous other capacities, including but not limited to designing visual communication materials (e.g. banners, newsletters, Power Point presentations, etc.)
Information Technology Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Update and maintain the Office web site, as well as the web site dedicated to the Private Sector Investment Conference for the Great Lakes region, which took place in the Democratic Republic of the Congo on 24-25 February 2016; Assist in the design, development and maintenance of Internet applications, and social media platforms;
- Create links to UN web pages and to social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and You Tube;
- Develop, update and manage internal databases;
- Set up and maintain files and records, organize meetings and monitor deadlines as required;
- Generate a variety of standard and non-standard statistics and other reports from various databases to assess the effectiveness of the communication strategy put in place by the Office;
- Write captions for UN photos and archive them;
- Upload written and multimedia materials including, news articles, press clippings, press releases, videos, photos, maps, etc.;
- Liaise with key partners in the Great Lakes region to help organize joint activities;
- Provide general office support as needed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technological tools to enhance performance.
Qualifications for the Information Technology Assistant Job
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Technical expertise and proficiency in web design, programming, development, and maintenance. University degree in ICT or relevant field will be highly desirable.
- At least 5 years of progressively relevant experience in web design and maintenance. Prior experience in a UN communication & information entity would be an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
Method of Application
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 22 November 2016 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted. Email: email@example.com Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail A copy of P11 to be attached. The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).