If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Médecins sans frontières (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases. It was founded in France in response to the Biafran War. The organization is known in most of the world by its localized name or simply as MSF; in Canada and the United States the name Doctors Without Borders is commonly used. In 2015 over 30,000, mostly local, doctors, nurses and other medical professionals, logistical experts, water and sanitation engineers and administrators provided medical aid in over 70 countries. These doctors and nurses decided to volunteer their time to solve issues of world health. Private donors provide about 90% of the organization's funding, while corporate donations provide the rest, giving MSF an annual budget of approximately US$750 million.
Operational / Technical responsibilities
Media Management (70%)
• Media Relations
- Receive and handle all media requests related to MSF operations in East Africa
- Disseminate and pitch relevant MSF communications to East African Media
- Organize and manage media presence to all regional MSF events, including press conference.
- Promote MSF international public campaigns at the regional level
- Organize media briefing with MSF executives and field teams
• Mapping & Monitoring
- Maintain an updated media database and network
- Monitor all relevant media on a daily basis.
- Provide MSF operations and communications staff with timely reporting on the regional political and humanitarian online context, particularly in case of emergency crisis.
- Assess, promote and protect MSF reputation and principles in the media
• The regional media manager will also team up with the digital communication manager for online media mapping and monitoring across East Africa.
Field Support (15%)
• Support MSF field communications in terms of media management (emergencies, media visits…)
• Media training for MSF spokespersons
• Regional Media overview
• Degree in Journalism or Communications.
• Experience in media management, monitoring and analysis, strategic campaign design and implementation.
• Previous working experience with media in East Africa
• Experience working with MSF communications
Competencies: • Excellent writing skills
• Knowledge of East African media landscape
• Expertise in most common social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat…)
• Understanding of the regional political and humanitarian environment
• Fluent English and Swahili required
• Any other regional language (French, Somali, Amharic…) would be an asset
• Ability to work proactively and collaboratively in a complex organisational environment (international MSF movement)
• Diplomacy, pedagogy and confidentiality
• Works in an adaptive and flexible manner, based on the context and the needs.
• Ability to work under pressure
Method of Application
Please address your application to email@example.com mentioning “Regional Media Manager” in the title. Feel free to provide links to your existing social media activity or digital accomplishment.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.