INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
- Terms of reference
Job title: Health Manager/Advisor
Location: Nairobi with Frequent travel to Mogadishu
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Starting date: 1.1.2017
Duration of contract: 1 year
- General context of the project
The Health Manager/Advisor will have the overall responsibility of coordination, planning and mentoring of the health/nutrition department projects and activities in the field. Additionally, s/he will be robustly involved in capacity building and training related activities. He/She will be also involved in all the sectorial meeting and forum and on the health advocacy initiatives.
- Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the technical definition of INTERSOS health strategies and to the elaboration of new projects finalized to the health strategy implementation.
- Maintain effective relationship with the Health projects Donors and to remain informed about decisions, developments and initiatives of the Health and Nutrition sectors for Somalia.
- Strive to the achievement of the objectives of INTERSOS health projects in Somalia, either by direct supervision or “remote control management” of INTERSOS supported Health facilities in Kenya-Somalia.
- Manage human resources within the Health projects, coordinating and motivating personnel, encouraging continuous update and training on the job.
- Supervise the Health & Nutrition programmes to ensure they are implemented in accordance with INTERSOS standards and regulations.
- Work closely with the Head of Mission in building relationships with key Health & Nutrition partners and donors to strengthen INTERSOS Health & Nutrition programmes in Somalia .
- Supervise and support the Health & Nutrition Project Managers by providing technical and programme support (i.e. staff recruitment, training and mentoring expatriate and national staff, ensure timely and quality project narrative reports, internal and to be provided to the donors on time according to donors’ requirement; ensure the use of qualitative and quantitative indicators, supervising the correct implementation of the projects in accordance with agreed strategies, principles, implementation plans, and donor requirements; monitor Health & Nutrition projects through follow up of the PATs).
- Ensure and support the mainstreaming of Health & Nutrition components in the INTERSOS mission projects by providing technical expertise and assure that linkages among the projects are established and are sustainable.
- Ensure that Health & Nutrition information is used effectively to advocate on important issues as well as for longer term planning for target populations.
- Regular visits (if security will allow it) to Health & Nutrition programme sites in Somalia.
- Prepare regular monthly and mission reports for the HoM on Somalia mission Health & Nutrition programme.
- Respnsibility for the management and financial administration of the assigned projects, and for the achievement of their objectives and results
- Required profile/experience
- Qualified doctor or nurse with a postgraduate qualification in community/public healthwith management skills (human resources, hospital management on the humanitarian emergency projects)
- Master degree or equivalent in Public Health
- At least 5 years work experience in humanitarian field in relevant technical disciplines and in coordination position and advisory position. Previous experience in M&E and related field is an asset
- Working experience in fragile states of at least 3 years.
- Previous experience in Somalia is an asset.
- Knowledge of the cluster system.
- Knowledge of ECHO/UNICEF/CHF/WHO procedures and familiar with their approach and strategies.
- Project Management skills, including financial planning and documentation.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, good reporting and communication skills are required
- Good problem solving and social skills and creative, to think of alternative solutions.
- Good interpersonal skills to work effective with different stakeholders including different communities in the target areas, humanitarian actors, service providers, local and national authorities.
- Excellent organisational, teambuilding and participatory training skills and experience is required, as well as ability to work as part of a team.
Method of Application
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their curriculum vitae, motivation letter and 2 references to: email@example.com , specifying in the subject “MC Iraq” Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview