Nuru Kenya is a non-governmental organization currently working in Migori County, Kenya. Nuru Kenya’s mission is to end extreme poverty in remote, rural areas of Kenya. To this end, Nuru implements a holistic development model working with programs in Agriculture, Financial Inclusion, Healthcare, and Education. Nuru Kenya has established Cooperatives in Migori County and is working towards strengthening those cooperatives so that they are effective in delivering services to its members. The organization is therefore looking for qualified candidates to fill the above positions in the already established cooperatives.
Location: Isibania, Kenya
Number of positions: 7 (Kuria west 5 positions) (Kuria East 2 positions)
The Cooperative Manager will be responsible for managing and controlling the overall day-to-day administration, operation, coordination and control of all aspects of the Cooperative and its subsidiary operations (if any) in accordance with approved financial and operational plans. This includes but not limited to; strategic planning; capacity building and development of cooperative leaders; and in setting up accounting, bookkeeping and administrative systems for cooperatives. Managers will initially be employed by Nuru Kenya so they are also held responsible for achieving organizational goals and milestones in collaboration with Nuru supported cooperatives. Directly reports to Market Linkages and Co-operatives Manager (Nuru Kenya) and accountable to the Co-operative Management Committee.
Responsibilities for the Cooperative Manager Job
- To give advice, assistance and training to the Management Committee and members of the Cooperative in managing their affairs
- To guide and administer the affairs of the Co-operative in keeping with sound business practices and the objectives of the organization and to ensure profitable operations and positive cash flows
- To be responsible for achieving the Co-operatives objective of the training and development of local staff
- To ensure a high level of member and customer service is provided to all patrons of the Co-operative at all times
- To develop and maintain the Co-operative’s position externally with county and national governments, development organizations (Nuru Kenya), business groups and the general public
- To manage, control and protect all assets of the Co-operative, including Nuru seed capital, agricultural inputs and loan repayment from members, from all types of loss
- Coordinate loan repayment and collection from farmers through the management committee
- To efficiently manage and control all fixed assets of the Co-operative to ensure they maintained in top quality condition and are protected from loss and obsolescence by developing, implementing and administering policies and procedures that control the use of assets and provide for regular and periodic maintenance
- To plan, facilitate and participate in trainings aimed at strengthening relevant skills for co-operative managers and other committee members
- To maintain good and regular communication with the Management Committee, members of the Co-operative, and with Nuru staff including monitoring of co-operative performance and reporting of updates and results to Nuru Kenya
- To coordinate meetings for the cooperative including regular and special meetings of the Management Committee as well as the annual general meeting(s) of the cooperative
- To attend all meetings of the Management Committee and to provide regular written and oral reports on the monthly operations of the Co-operative, interpreting financial statements, reporting on correspondence and activities and advising on policies and future planning
- To prepare and present to the Management Committee for approval the annual operating and financial plan (budget) of the Co-operative
- To recommend, administer, control and supervise all policies of the Co-operative including policies and procedures relating to credit, operations and human resources
- To appraise continually the operating results of the Co-operative and to take prompt corrective action as required to ensure all operations are viable
- To control and supervise the finances (custody of cash, cheque writing, borrowing, etc.) of the Co-operative and strive for high levels of efficiency and maintain a careful and judicious control of expenses as well as accurate record keeping
- To keep informed of general business and economic conditions, legislation, new developments and problems that may affect the position of the Co-operative
- To continuously upgrade and maintain the skills and abilities necessary to manage the various areas of operation and business units
- To perform other duties as required for the proper management of the association.
Cooperative Manager Job Qualifications
- Be a holder of a Diploma in Cooperative Management or any other related course with over 2 years of experience in operation, management and/or development of agricultural cooperative societies or
- A Certificate in Cooperative Management with over 4 years’ experience working with Agricultural Cooperative societies
- Strong quantitative skills; specifically demonstrated ability to create and execute budgets and business plans
- Experience with training and capacity building of small scale farmers preferred
- Detailed understanding of challenges facing small scale farmers, grain/agricultural produce markets and cooperatives in Kenya
- Proven track record of successfully managing a cooperative
- Experience in conducting trainings
- Mobilization skills
- Strong computer skills, specifically in Microsoft Office
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work independently
- Desire to work with rural farmers in field conditions
- Be a Kenyan citizen
- Candidates should be residents of Kuria East and Kuria west
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Work will be performed both in the office and. Some work is also expected from the computer at home during evenings and weekends during busier seasons.
Remuneration: Commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience.
- Nuru Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we give equal opportunity to all qualified candidates. Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Method of Application
Interested applicants should submit their application; resume and cover letter supported by at least two known references. Candidates to also attach a valid Certificate of Good Conduct, professional and academic testimonials and certificate. Kindly quote your current and expected salary. Complete your application in English, include your phone number, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org ,the applications can also be hand delivered at Nuru Kenya offices located in Isibania by the 9th of December 2016 at 5.00PM.
Please outline how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Indicate the job title and where you would like to work as the Heading/subject of your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. We do not charge or accept money as a fee at any stage in our hiring process.