Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger International (ACF) is an international humanitarian recognized in the fight against hunger. ACF mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. Helen Keller International (HKI) was founded in 1915 and is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. HKI aims to combat the root causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition.
Objective 1:Transporting Staff and Goods Safely**
The driver has to:
· Receive, take care of goods and transport ACF employees according to the planned schedule or as directed by Capital Logistician,
· Load items in the car according to manufacturer recommendations,
· Ensure passengers on board wear safety belts at all times during the trip,
· Ensure that only authorized personnel are allowed on board,
· Possess all necessary driver’s documentation – driving license, ACF ID card at all times when driving ACF vehicles,
· Check the validity of vehicle documentation and keep records in respect to vehicle licenses renewal, appropriate inspections and insurance, inform Capital logistician in good time to renew documents about to expire (2 months minimum)
· Respect Kenyan traffic rules and regulation e.g. wearing seat belts,
· Respect ACF standard operating procedures for vehicles including communication schedule,
· Maintain ACF speed limits, adjusting the speed to the road and risk conditions, in particular the speed mustn’t exceed 40km/hr in villages or busy town areas,
· Ensure offloading of goods, working tools and equipment from the vehicle when required,
· Maintain daily vehicle fuel intake and logbook trip records,
· Report any accidents immediately to the nearest police station for purpose of insurance and to the base log Admin,
· Ensure that the First-Aid box is available in the vehicle and well equipped at all times,
· Track movement of goods from Capital to base and ensure they arrive in good condition,
· Assist in verification and loading of goods and materials with suppliers for field offices during bulk procurements.
Objective 2:Vehicle Maintenance
The driver has to:
· Maintain project vehicle in good condition, engine check-up, regular checks of fluid levels and the tyres which are to be conducted on a daily basis (refer to Log book for morning checks),
· Ensure general cleanliness of the inside and outside of the vehicle,
· Perform pre-departure checklist as indicated on the logbook,
· Report any minor technical problem to the Base log Adm. Record it in the log book and fill maintenance and repair card for each work plan or done on the vehicles.
· Prepare the fuel reload calculations for the Field Fleet and forward to the base log Admin for consolidation.
· Update the vehicle files and ensure all paperwork and filing is in order and up to date
· Maintain a service database for all fleet at Western region and advice base log Admin on various aspects regarding the fleet e.g. service dates, spare parts.
Objective 3:Facilities Management
The driver has to:
• Organize for repairs to the office when need arises
• Liaise with base log Admin to ensure the office meets health and safety requirements and that facilities comply with legislation
• Planning best allocation and utilization of office space and resources or re-organizing current premises
• Liaise with base log Admin to ensure office inventory up to date
Objective 4:Other Duties
The driver will at times be called upon to:
· Assist staff with personal effects in terms of getting access to government bodies, getting government documentations etc.
SPECIFICITIES OF THE POSITION
The driver is responsible of the tool kit and First-Aid kit present in the vehicle. He has to take care of ACF vehicle as his own property that no incident may occur due to negligence.
It's absolutely forbidden to:
· Use ACF vehicle for private purposes unless express authorized by the Logistic Manager
· Carry non-ACF staff unless specific authorization has been given,
· Carry any soldier or armed person,
· Carry passengers on top on the pick-up,
· Carry more people or cargo than allowed by the vehicle technical capacity,
· Be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while driving ACF vehicle and/or during working hours,
· Use of MIRAA while on duty is forbidden.
· Answer mobile phone when driving; if you have to, then stop vehicle on side of road and talk.
· Be in possession of a valid driving license class BCE
· At least 5 years of experience in similar position
· Good Command of English Language
· Strong personality to deal with multicultural staff at all levels
· Self-motivated person who takes initiative
· Must be a team player
· Experience working with an NGO is an added advantage.
· Have mechanical knowledge (optional)
· Knowledge and/or previous experience in store management
· Certificate in Storekeeping
· Good knowledge of Nairobi area and Western Kenya region
· Keep all documents up to date (Log books, maintenance plan, insurance and other inspections…)
· Report any security information
· Weekly and monthly stock report Ad-hoc reports (assessments reports, newsletter…)
What ACF will offer:
· Start date: 3rd January 2017.
· Duty station: Western Region.
· Remuneration package: Very Competitive salary package with additional benefits to include:
§ Career development opportunities with ACF
§ Training opportunities
§ Comprehensive medical cover for self and dependents
§ Opportunity to work in a good and friendly environment with a dynamic and motivated team
Interested candidates should forward their applications including a cover letter, curriculum vitae and telephone contacts and email addresses of 3 referees preferably former/current supervisors (certificates will be required later on in the recruitment process) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested and qualified? Go to Action Against Hunger International career website on reliefweb.int to apply