FilmAid is an international development and humanitarian communications organization that harnesses the power and influence of media and the arts to respond to emergencies as well as promote social change through dialogue in order to protect the wellbeing of displaced and vulnerable populations by building stronger, healthier, and more informed communities around the world.
The Project Manager – Livelihood will efficiently and effectively support, manage and implement FilmAid’s Support for the Protection and Assistance of Refugees in Kenya (SPARK) Programme funded by DFID.
The position requires knowledge and experience of food security and livelihoods in developing countries as wells as exemplary planning, program design and interpersonal communication skills to be used in managing work in the dynamics of creating synergies between refugee beneficiaries and host community needs in Turkana West, aid stakeholders, Government and other parties in the humanitarian and development sector.
Project Manager Job Roles and Responsibilities
Results based planning and execution
- Direct responsibility for execution of SPARK activities based on FilmAid’s theory of Social Change. The ideal candidate must be able to drive the delivery of emergency lifesaving information in disaster contexts and longer-term behavior modification communications based on a sound understanding of the audiences;
- In collaboration with the SPARK partners in Kakuma, support the programme team to design the community level market base livelihood interventions and IGA opportunities for beneficiaries
- Through partnerships, Identify the potentials enterprise to engage and create linkages new markets and employments for beneficiaries
- Directly responsible for expenditure budget development, modification and expenditure tracking on communications based outreach in Kakuma, in collaboration with the Field Manager
- Design and execute activities that magnify desired behavior through radio, film and bulk SMS and monitor to meet the desired outcomes.
- Provides support to teams to deliver social marketing, BCC communication and CwC interventions effectively;
- Maintain an effective reporting system for SPARK. The reports should enlighten, inspire and record compliance for internal and external use, and contain data of sufficient quality to be valid for evaluation;
- Manage programmatic learning structures to ensure that best practices and challenges are incorporated into SPARK programme activities;
- Ensures timely submission of good quality project reports, including any other reports requiring outreach inputs. The reports should enlighten, inspire and record compliance for internal and external use, and contain data of sufficient quality to be valid for evaluation;
- Manage programmatic learning structures to ensure that best practices and challenges are incorporated into continued activities.
- Lead teams in results based planning drawn from shared M&E log frames, performance monitoring plans and budgets for SPARK;
- Incorporate Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) in programme implementation;
- Coordination of programmatic meetings between FilmAid in Kakuma and UN agencies, donors, aid agencies, government stakeholder to foster positive relationships;
- Lead communication between departments to facilitate quality delivery of activities and assist with the development of communications strategies to support SPARK programme goals and increase community awareness;
- Oversee the management of visibility activities ensuring that all activities include appropriate branding and donor recognition.
Line Supervisory responsibility
- Supervise all program team members in Kakuma operations by articulating expectations, displaying model behavior, maintaining open lines of communication and being clear about roles and relationships.
- Work directly with Field Manager to design program performance objectives, develop yearly outreach plan according to program needs and capacity etc.
Qualifications and Requirements for the Project Manager Job
- Higher Diploma in Communications for Development, Program management or other relevant discipline.
- At least four (4) years’ experience in program implementation and coordination, preferably with an international humanitarian aid organization;
- Clear understanding of economic development and market-based programming; and of socioeconomic context in the country.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team.
- High-level project coordination experience, with requisite skills in project management, developing and managing budgets, internal communications, supervising and working with partners and Bilateral &
- Multilateral Funds (e.g. DFID…)
- Ability to deliver quality programmatic outcomes in a time-sensitive manner.
- Experience delivering projects in multiple locations, including cross-cultural and multi-language environments.
- Experience working with media and managing magnification events.
- Working knowledge on Social Marketing, C4D, CwC methodologies.
- Experience with principles and practice of humanitarian aid and/or development.
- Flexibility to work for extended hours when necessary, and able to live in a hardship area.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work with a widespread cross-cultural team.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili is essential.
- Excellent analytical, decision-making and organizational skills.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to exercise discretion, independent judgment, political acumen and professional accountability in all situations.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to submit their applications with only Cover Letter, CV and 3 references to Email address: email@example.com on or before 13th December, 2016. Please indicate on the subject line of you application as ‘Project Manager – Livelihood’ Note that applicants who send letters of references, testimonials or any other documents apart from those requested will be automatically disqualified. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. FilmAid is an Equal Opportunity Employer.