Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
Procurement & Logistics Job Responsibilities
The Procurement Assistant responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Support the OTI procurement and contracting processes to ensure the efficient implementation of programme grants; and provide coordination of the procurement process in Nairobi with the (OTI) field, grants and finance units;
- Organize and/or tracking specific procurements of goods and services/labour made in the field and in Nairobi for grant specific projects, including the tracking of goods, services/labour procured within sub-contracted arrangements or specific grant activities;
- Maintain all supporting documentation and requisite authorizations in accordance with IOM rules and regulations throughout the procurement process, including Purchase Requisition Forms (PRFs), Bids Analysis Summary, Purchase Orders, and including Delivery Receipts and Way Bills;
- Assist in the review and preparation of Purchase Requisitions Forms (PRFs) related to grants and, as required on a timely basis to ensure that all procurement requests are captured in the system and commitments for various procuring projects are captured;
- Obtain quotations and prepare Bids Analysis Summary (BAS) in conformity to specified requirements (PRF), conduct appraisals and confirm terms of agreement with selected suppliers; prepare purchase orders manually and ensure authorization by relevant authorities according to Mission Permanent Instructions;
- Ensure that the procurements made in the field are all properly documented and are in accordance with any contracting arrangements in place; vouchers for payments and other supportive documents should be filled and shared with the Grants Unit;
- Analyse, advice, and provide recommendations on how to streamline local procurements for new grant projects to be implemented, and conduct market surveys, identifies and researches potential new suppliers/service providers;
- Maintain and update a list detailing the costs of most common items procured in the locations where the Programme is operating on a monthly basis;
- Act as the focal point for SSI Assets, maintain an inventory of programme assets and equipment, and the provision of office supplies and consumables;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Business Administration or a Higher Diploma in Procurement or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Thorough understanding of USAID Procurement and Logistics policies, rules and regulations
- Minimum five (5) years relevant experience in a similar position, with specific focus on local/international procurement, clearing & forwarding, VAT, laws and regulations, insurance and inventory/stock/supplies and management;
- Knowledge of MS Project and common software applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned;
- Previous experience with UN and International Agencies, or NGO’s an advantage;
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country or regional objectives.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
Competencies for the Procurement & Logistics Assistant Job
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives,
- concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com Closing Date: 16th December 2016, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.