Working with the supervision and guidance of the Deputy Director – Programs (Kenya) the position provides technical oversight in the development and implementation of protection and governance mainstreaming in IRC Kenya. The Senior Protection Manager will lead the Protection team in implementing all Protection related activities across the country program. The Protection Program comprises a number of projects and program which include protection of urban refugees and other forced migrants, safe programming and GOK policy reviews related for refugees and forced migrants. The Protection team also plays a critical role in governance related programming in service delivery and livelihood programming, advocacy as well as awareness raising. In undertaking the above, the Senior Protection Manager will ensure strong coordination and collaboration with the relevant GOK departments, other implementing partners and stake holders. The Senior Protection Manager will also ensure the Protection program is integrated into other IRC Kenya sectors like livelihoods, Women Protection and Empowerment and Health Programs.
Purpose of the Role
While leading the Protection team and working with other partners, the Manager will ensure adequate participation, appropriate delivery, and sustained impact of all Protection and governance interventions which are under power and safety outcomes under the 2020 SAP IP. This position will support all aspects of technical design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Protection activities; development of implementation strategy/approaches and guidelines including providing feedback to partners for purposes of improving progamme quality.
- Overall responsibility for the management of the Protection Programme while providing technical and programmatic support to the communities, partners and GoK on refugee protection and forced migrants.
- Create and execute systems (work plans, spending plans etc) to ensure that set deadlines are met and targets achieved
- To supervise and mentor the protection and safe programming officers working in the protection program towards achievement of goals
- Working closely with the Protection Staff, undertake analysis of data/assessment findings to inform on design of Protection programming strategies and approaches that are sustainable.
- Participate in the development of new proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with the Deputy Director Programs and Deputy Director Grants and Accountability.
- Provide all necessary technical expertise to the Protection team in all Protection related activities and where appropriate and to other IRC programmes.
- Conduct regular field visits, supervision and monitoring of all Protection related activities to ensure quality implementation
- Take direct lead in planning of all Protection activities in collaboration with the Field Managers and other technical program leads.
- Contribute towards development of IRC’s country strategic plan, in the protection sector
- Facilitate close collaboration between IRC and project implementing partners
- Ensure appropriate monitoring and evaluation of protection activities to guarantee effective implementation according to set standards
- Support other protection programs as needed
- Support the Deputy Director in Durable Solutions activities such as ReDSS Initiative (Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat) among others.
- With support from the Security Manager monitor the security situation and development in IRC operational areaswith implications for staff safety and for program implementation;
- Oversee implementation of the IRC Kenya Security Management Plan where applicable.
Capacity Building & Human Resource Management
- Directly manage, supervise and mentor ProtectionProgram staffBuild the capacity of the protection program staff to improve their range of capabilities related to the protection program and its activities
- Support the Deputy Director – Programs to train IRC staff in Durable Solution strategies.
- Ensure that all performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency;
- Support in Identifying training needs for program support staff members and make appropriate recommendations to the DDP, DDO, DDGA and the CD;
- Ensure that administrative matters that relate to the roleare carried out in accordance with IRC HR and administration policies;
- Support efforts that will ensure that all IRC staff comply with the IRC Code of Conduct/IRC WAY and other relevant policies pertaining to staff conduct.
- Report on the progress of all Protection activities highlighting any anticipated programme delays and proposing solutions in order to meet deadlines.
- Produce initial drafts of all Protection related donor reports and support the Grants unit in finalizing the same before submission to the donor.
- Contribute in compiling study and assessment reports including technical reviews of the same when called upon
- Contribute in the design of M&E tools and implementation of the same in all Protection related activities
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee career website on chm.tbe.taleo.net to apply