The Danish Refugee Council
(DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organisation founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries throughout the world.
The purpose is to manage and analyze data compiled by 4Mi Monitors and support project implementation in order to support a wide range of agencies, donors, governments, departments and academic institutions by providing more concrete and authoritative information concerning mixed migration flows and trend changes in flows. The objective is to inform policy, debate and programmatic response; to increase understanding of conditions and changing realities on ground and protection deficits etc.
The 4mi Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICT4D) Officer will assist the 4mi project manager as well as the RMMS Coordinator in a wide range of activities as part of the overall strategy of the Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat.
ICT Job Key Responsibilities
- Strong developing skills. Incumbent must be comfortable working with different programming languages such as Djs, Java, Java Script, PHP, SQL.
- Conduct complex analytics and produce useful reports through technical software including Excel, STATA, R, Tableau or SPSS.
- Proficiency in data analysis. Able to manage, analyze, and organize data and be adept at analysis and interpretation of large quantities big data.
- Able to design relevant infographics that make data easy to consume on demand. Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Comfortable with Geographic Information Systems. QGIS, ARCGIS, CartoDB. Candidate must be able to map relevant coordinates, digitize maps and relevant routes. Collaborate with external GIS team in relevant geospatial work and in particular data collection, data cleaning/verification, analysis, rationalization and updating of the GIS database. Experience working with CartoDB will be helpful.
- Support in the development of 4mi strategy for its external database and its GIS platform.
- Able to manage multiple interactive social media platforms (for both RMMS and 4mi) and stay up to date with relevant news updates.
- Any additional work tasks in support of the RMMS/4Mi management.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications.
- Liaise with technical staff at other agencies concerned with migration, under the supervision of the 4Mi Project Manager.
- Close collaboration with 4Mi Project Manager on data analysis.
- Liaison with established refugee/migrantfocused agencies who may need to access relevant data, including IOM.
- Consistent and verified analysis of information about movements resulting in trends analysis.
- Quantitative and triangulated data and statistics on mixed migration flows disseminated on a constant basis to 4Mi team.
- Qualitative and quantitative information made available on constant basis concerning conditions en route, violations, number of deaths and disappearances, protection risks, economy of smuggling and trafficking, migrant intentions and aspirations etc.
Required Qualifications/Skills for the ICT Job
- Degree in computer science or any relevant IT degree.
- At least two year’s work experience in a relevant role.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated command of working with large quantities of data in Microsoft Excel and being able to conduct trends analysis.
- Understanding of advanced IT systems, including SPSS, Excel, GIS Mapping, CartoDB, Tableau, and android based smart phone settings and applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working effectively in a team and/or managing projects remotely.
- Maintains confidentiality on programming operations.
- Must work closely and collaboratively with RMMS and 4Mi staff in analyzing combined information sources.
- Enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits and finding new solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication aptitude.
- Written and verbal fluency in English.
- Creative and able to think outside the box.
- A Master’s degree in relevant field will be an added advantage.
- Useful IT certificates will also be an added advantage.
- Capable of working under minimal supervision.
The ICT4D Officer will report to the Project Manager – 4Mi.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Danish Refugee Council career website on candidate.hr-manager.net to apply