If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Kennedy Odede started Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) in 2004 with passion, 20 cents and a soccer ball. Growing up in Kibera, one of the largest slums in Africa, he experienced extreme poverty, violence, lack of opportunity, and deep gender inequality.
Reports to: Community Programs Officer
Hours: 6 days a week (expected to work over the weekend then take a day-off during the week) Sunday 1-5pm.
Responsibilities for the Community Programs Officer Job
The Youth Coordinator is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating programs for youth in the Mathare community.
Research and develop programs for youth
- Assess the program needs of youth in the community and identify areas where new programs are needed
- Communicate with youth to determine their needs and interests
- Ensure a variety of programs and activities are planned and implemented
- Document and report on program progress
Plan and implement activities for youth
- Develop plans of work for the various youth departments
- Oversee the implementation of the youth program activities
- Recruit and expand the beneficiaries’ base for the youth and market the activities undertaken by the youth.
- Offer strategic direction and oversight for Ghetto Mirror- a monthly community magazine produced by the
- Recruit, train and oversee youth leaders
- Encourage local youth to participate in local, regional and national programs
Promote youth programs
- Ensure that youth are aware of available activities
- Coordinate a community relations campaign to promote youth programs
- Arrange for advertising of youth programs
- Maintain contacts with local, regional and territorial organizations for youth
Administer youth programs
- Prepare an annual work plan for youth activities
- Work with the Community Programs Officer to prepare the youth program annual budget
- Record information on and prepare reports concerning youth programs, costs, numbers of participants and equipment and facility use
- Provide weekly, monthly and yearly reports
- Ensure that all programs and activities are implemented according to relevant policies and procedures
- Monitor the use of equipment and facilities
Work with the Community Programs Officer and Metrics & Evaluation team to evaluate the effectiveness of programs.
Qualifications for the Community Programs Officer
- A diploma in Youth leadership development, Project Management or Community Development
- A degree in social sciences will be an added advantage
- 3 years experience in management of youth programs
- Experience working in informal settlements
- Good communication skills and conflict resolution skills
- Self-motivated, innovative, proactive and self- directed
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills
- Must be Computer Literate
Method of Application
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV to the HR Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org quoting their current and expected salaries. The subject Line should be the Job Title. Applications without this information will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications should reach us no later than 22nd December 2016.