If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a pan-African, non-profit, regional research institute that conducts high-quality research on population, health, education and urbanization and other development challenges facing sub-Saharan Africa.
- Manage the Division Leader’s office and respond to queries in his/her absence;
- Schedule appointments for the Division Leader and other members of the team as necessary;
- Review emails, respond to routine enquiries and draft responses for the Division Leader;
- Manage meetings of the Division, including preparing documentation and taking minutes as necessary;
- Identify action points during meetings and follow up with the concerned parties to ensure that action is taken;
- Coordinate reviews of applications to the institutional ethics review board and monitor compliance with conditions of approvals granted by National ethics review boards;
- Maintain an effective record and filing system for contacts, project activities, correspondences, and documents for quick and easy reference;
- Develop schedules and analysis to help review products from various units within the division;
- Ensure confidentiality of information in Division Leader’s office;
- Provide support in preparation and formatting of reports;
- Assist in proposal development process taking responsibility for administrative sections of proposals developed and ensuring all application requirements are met;
- Assist in contract preparations within the Division;
- Manage conference and workshop logistics by preparing draft budgets, making travel and hotel bookings, sending invitations, preparing workshop materials and arranging for per diems and other reimbursements;
- Assist with financial management in the Division, including assisting with monitoring of the Division budget expenditure;
- Maintain grant reporting requirements and schedules in the Project Management System (PMS) and follow-up on project reports to ensure submission by due dates;
- Help in monitoring project implementation including review of burn rates on the online management accounting system and seeking from the division teams the rationale for projects that are delayed;
- Maintain an effective record and filing system for contacts, donor correspondences and related documents; and
- Support where appropriate in the planning and execution of the identified fundraising campaigns.
- Diploma in business administration;
- At least 7 years of relevant post-qualification experience in a busy office environment, preferably in an INGO, research organization or large research program;
- Good planning, financial and organizational skills;
- Good computer skills;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal);
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to communicate in French and experience working in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment will be an added advantage.
- Detail oriented, discreet, tactful, courteous;
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks, meet deadlines;
- Initiative and innovation in assessing situations, troubleshooting, conflict resolution, teambuilding; and
Method of Application
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal.
Applications will be considered until 16th December 2016.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Cover letters should be addressed to:-
The Human Resources Officer African Population and Health Research Center P.O. Box 10787 – 00100 GPO Nairobi
Interested and qualified? Go to African Population and Health Research Center career website on hrs.aphrc.org to apply