Absa Bank Limited (Absa) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays Africa Group Limited. Absa offers personal and business banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, wealth and investment management as well as bancassurance.
The monitoring of the compliance processes and methodology in the business Function to ensure regulatory and AML compliance, as well as the implementation, alignment and embedding of the compliance training requirements in the business.
Ensuring that the compliance function delivers the compliance and financial crime deliverables required
Main Accountabilities and approximate time split
Monitoring 90 %
- Apply the BAGL compliance methodology and processes for the monitoring and reporting of compliance risks and issues.
- Implement, align and embed compliance principles and methodology within specific business function
- Ensure that appropriate compliance policies are in place and embedded to meet BAGL and Group and local regulatory requirements.
- Monitor the operation of the compliance policies.
- Manage regulatory compliance coverage for the within specific business function
- Carry out Risk based Compliance Monitoring as per Annual Plan
- Produce Draft reports as per each Monitoring for review by Country Compliance Monitoring and Training Manager
- Co-ordinate progress on set targets and achieve targets through managing in country compliance resources
- Assist Country Compliance Monitoring and Training Manager
develop localised compliance training as required which are aligned to Group.
Administration 10 %
- Support the Country Compliance Monitoring and Training Manager / Head of Compliance with their Governance responsibilities by assisting in the preparation of reports, presentations and special position papers for G&CCs and CMCs as may be required.
- Maintain accurate and up to date working databases which correctly reflect the final report issued.
- Ensure reports/working papers and databases are properly archived after the completion of the Compliance Monitoring.
- Assist the Head of Compliance in cost control by ensuring costs are kept to a realistic minimum.
Risk and Control
“Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards. Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) relevant to the role.”
- Intellectual and analytical skills of a high order. He/she is likely to be a graduate and / or have a professional qualification.
- The strength of character, credibility and personal presence and the communication skills to operate confidently and effectively at senior levels both internally and externally.
- The flexibility to appreciate the commercial objectives of the business, coupled with an ability to challenge, independently and constructively, senior management, peers or other staff where appropriate, to insist upon adherence to the highest standards of business practice and to the requirements of relevant authorities. Tact and sensitivity as well as strength and authority are important.
- Ability to use initiative and work with minimum supervision but ensuring, at the same time, that the line reports are kept fully informed at all times.
- Ability to consider issues from a range of angles and propose creative solutions that assist the business in achieving its goals in a safe, compliant and controlled manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with senior internal and external audiences – to educate, persuade, negotiate, gain decisions, enforce.
- Ability to influence senior management.
- Ability to make a real contribution in a rapidly changing environment and thrive on change and the need to learn rapidly.
Knowledge and Expertise (relating to specialist knowledge and expertise required to undertake the role. May include knowledge of the Bank’s products, services and policies)
- Experience in compliance and audit, preferably with an international exposure.
- He/she should be a graduate and have an Audit professional qualification.
Key Issues over the next 12-24 months
- Ensure all relevant compliance policies and procedures are rolled out and embedded across the business.
- Support the business in implementation of a risk-based approach to compliance.
- Assist business in their development of compliance monitoring and review programmes, and ensure robust delivery against policy.
Additional details of exceptional aspects of the demands of the role
Travel demands as relevant
Barclays Guiding Principles importance to this role
- Winning together
- The best people.
- Customer / Client focused.
Quality, High Standards and Controls
- Anticipates standards required in the future and works on them now
- Endlessly admired by customers for the standard of service provided
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- In depth knowledge of functional areas and products and services offered
Communication / Influence
- Uses a variety of communication methods – but gets complex messages across simply
Agreed by line manager
Experience, Qualifications And Other Requirements Specific To The Role
Name Signature Date:
Agreed by employee
Name Signature Date
Co-signed by HR Manager
Name Signature Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Absa Bank Limited career website on barclays.taleo.net to apply