If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Tax Justice Network – Africa (TJN-A) is a Pan African initiative and member of the Global Alliance for Tax Justice. TJN-A aims to promote socially just, accountable and progressive taxation systems in Africa. We advocates for pro-poor taxation systems and the strengthening of tax regimes to promote domestic resource mobilization. TJN-A aims to challenge harmful tax policies and practices that favour the wealthy and those that aggravate and perpetuate inequality.
As an organization we seek to mainstream tax justice in the economic policy and development discourse in Africa. TJN-A provides a platform dedicated to enabling African researchers, campaigners and policy makers to cooperate in the struggle against illicit capital flight, tax evasion, tax competition and other harmful trends in tax policy and practice.
The Communications Campaigns and Campaigns Manager will leverage diverse communications strategies to help us scale our impact. S/he will develop appropriate messages to engage the organization’s internal and external target audiences and will manage multi-channel communication outlets, including but not limited to print media, publications, social media, electronic media, conferences, presentations, etc.
Externally, he/she will actively promote the TJN-A’s work and seek opportunities to share its successes. The Communications campaigns and outreach Manager will develop and distribute materials that convey the organisation’s policies or position on key issues. S/he will monitor and coordinate the organization’s social media efforts and oversee website updates. Other duties may include issuing press releases, coordinating regular blog postings, and working with program staff to draft issue briefs. Internally, the Communications and Campaigns and Outreach Manager will ensure that employees are well-versed and able to speak to the TJN-A’s mission and impact. S/he will participate in trainings on the organization’s brand and vision, as appropriate. S/he will ensure that the information that is disseminated externally permeates our internal audiences.
The position holder will report to the Executive Director.
Program Development and Planning
- Lead in the development, review and execution of the TJN-A Communications strategy as part of the broader organisation’s strategic plan
- Jointly with the programme team support the monitoring of major socio-economic and development issues related to Tax justice and their effects on TJN-A work and provide the TJN-A secretariat with analysis to inform the development and refinement of program, advocacy and communication strategies
- Keep abreast with global initiatives within the Tax Justice campaign and the international tax agenda and wherever possible, apply them in TJN-A’s communications and media work
- Ensure the integration of communications and media work in all aspects of Tax justice programming by providing support to TJN-A members, partners and staff
- Develop annual budget for communication and outreach contribute to the development of overall TJN-A annual budgets and support fundraising
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of M&E plans and guide MEL activities throughout the communication Unit
Implement and monitor the delivery of the communications and media strategy and plan in collaboration with the Assistant Communications Officer and identifying opportunities that provide platforms for our media work
- Ensure the development and implementation a clear communications and media protocol for the organization ensuring that this is consistent with the guidelines and principles of TJN-A; Build relationships with the press
- Lead on the crafting of communication and advocacy messages in coordination with the Deputy Executive Director
- Jointly with the programme provide support to the conceptualisation, development, and design of external communications including publications, Fact sheets, briefs, blogs, policy briefs, e-mail correspondences, etc.
- Review all publications produced by the organization to ensure that the TJN-A branding and communication guidelines are uniformly and consistently followed
- Establish and maintain contacts with national and international media and develop champions of Tax Justice issues through person-to-person advocacy, provision of media briefing kits and other TJN-A materials
- Monitor news relating to Tax and other development issues from print and broadcast media, and identify possible “tit-for-tat” opportunities for each issue; Review press releases, press briefings, press statements, media and campaign Q&As, and media messages, placing articles in the appropriate media
- Monitor media coverage of TJN-A’s work in and outside Africa and write and disseminate internal memos on media developments
- Liaise and maintain contact with TJN-A members and partners in implementing communication activities
- Conceptualizes and organizes the communication component of the advocacy and/or campaign activities or events that will serve as platforms for highlighting specific tax justice issues and generating support
- Support the Executive Director and the Deputy Executive Director in maintaining alliances with strategic networks at the national and/or regional levels working on key Tax and development issues
- Produce and compile regular activity reports and updates on the implementation of the planned work activities of the outreach and campaigns
- Produce timely reports as part of TJN-A’s quarterly, annual and monthly reports
- Help write and develop campaign literature, drafting speeches and create copy for the campaign sections of the website
- Develop and manage and execute a clear monitoring and evaluation strategy for the Communication Campaign and outreach Unit
Human and Financial Resource Management
- Draw up budgets for communications, campaigns and outreach work and activities, manage spending within budgets, and provide justifications for variances to the Executive Director
- Supervise and line manage staff in the communication and Campaign unit, ensuring competencies and outputs meet the program’s demands and expectations
- Implement the department’s selection of consultants/service providers
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
University degree in journalism, development communication, political science or other related field
- At least 7 years of experience in communications and media work, preferably with a an NGO or CSO working at regional level
- Experience in managing a diverse team
- Good understanding of Africa’s development issues and how various social, economic and political issues interact
- Strong analytical and conceptualization skills and ability to think strategically
- Ability to work on own initiative to build on and develop the job, combined with the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Good interpersonal and communications skills; developed capacity for tact, diplomacy and negotiation
- Highly developed writing skills; able to write press releases, letters to the editor, country briefs, etc.
- Proven ability to design effective communication products, lead formulation of communication messages and strategies
- Strong presentation skills Proven ability to develop relationships with the media, other civil society organizations, and networks
- Ability to communicate and work in both English and French is a must
- Good program management skills
- Highly organized, with good attention to detail and developed ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines and organize work
- Proven experience of using MS office application (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and desktop publishing software
- Must have a high sense of urgency, be result-oriented and a well-developed work ethic
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the requirements above are requested to submit their detailed CVs alongside a letter of motivation to the following email address by 18th January 2017. The subject line of the email should be Communications Campaigns and Outreach Manager to email@example.com