CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
The reduction in maternal and neonatal deaths in Kenya is a program of UNICEF that is funded by DFID. The overall objective of the program is that by 2018 at least 20% more mothers and new-born's in the most deprived counties and informal urban settlements utilize quality high impact Ministry of Health (MOH) services. The UNICEF program is designed to increase access to and utilization of - quality, integrated maternal and newborn health services to ensure:-
- Health workers in the County will have the knowledge and skills to provide quality delivery care and emergency obstetric and newborn care services.
- Health systems will be strengthened to manage and deliver integrated maternal and newborn health services.
UNICEF has contracted our client, to support the implementation of the program that will primarily focus on three Components:
- Component 1: Coordination and Facilitation of Training's Events and Capacity Building.
- Component 2: Supporting Infrastructure Development of Health Facilities.
- Component 3: Application of Green Building Technology inputs.
The Site Inspector will work within the Project component 2 and 3, supporting Infrastructure Development of Health Facilities and application of Green Building Technology inputs.
Project component 2, consists of the technical assessment of existing Health Facilities, provided by MOH and UNICEF, creation of reports, which will have detailed drawings of existing facilities, BOQ's for priority works as requested by UNICEF and the MOH as well as recommendations for works to make the Health
Facility fully operational. It is decided to upgrade the infrastructures of 42 facilities in five counties of Kenya.
Project component 3, consists of the incorporation of Green Building Technology into the upgrades of 86 Health Facilities in five counties. The green building inputs will be determined by a Green Technology Specialist, and be incorporated into the design by the DSU.
There are eight facilities receive infrastructure upgrades plus green technology application whereas 8 more facilities receive only green technology application in Garissa County. A team of three Site Inspectors is designed to supervise the construction works in multiple sites in Garissa County. The Site Inspectors will do the direct monitoring of the construction activities that are being undertaken by the contractors, liaise with contractors on the ground and coordinate contractor progress meetings.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Construction Manager, the Site Inspector provides the day-to-day contract supervision of the sites and reporting back site progress and implementation. He/she will be responsible for providing the necessary technical expertise to ensure compliance with the contract requirements for quantity and quality of the works undertaken by the contractor.
The Site Inspector is expected to work in remote and challenging environments with limited resources in Garissa County.
In order to carry out his/her tasks, the Site Inspector will be required to regularly attend to the sites where works are implemented (i.e.: health facilities scattered in Garissa County) and eventually stay there overnight in some remote facilities.
Specific duties and responsibilities are to include the following:
- Assist the Construction Manager in assessments of work quality and work progress
- Assist the Construction Manager in preparation of daily work/activity report, record of contractor’s man-power, equipment and material at the project site.
- Ensure that all construction materials (steel, cement, sand, aggregates, and other building materials) are used from the approved source.
- Inspection of concrete mix ratio, placement and reinforcement as per our client's technical specifications and schedule.
- Report any irregular activities and accidents that occur on the project site.
- In coordination with the Construction Manager make sure that the contractor is has satisfactory resources required for the work such as qualified personnel, skilled and unskilled laborers, equipment, and materials are available on site to complete construction activities as planned.
- Make sure that the contractor is fully equipped with the personal safety equipment and medical kit and that our client's work place and safety requirements are fully met.
- Report any irregular activities and accidents that may occur on site and ensure that works do not endanger the safety of workers and the public.
- Discuss daily work program with the contractor representative/engineer.
- Keep records/file of daily work activity report including photographs, plant, equipment and labor used in construction of the works.
- Keep records/ file of all field inspection forms and measurements of completed works.
- Keep records and maintain files for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and resources (labor, plant and equipment) on site, reports and other documents and all correspondence related to the construction activities and work.
- Maintain records of all testing and survey work carried out including cross referencing each item of work and location from which the samples were obtained for testing and measurements made.
- Issue orders to the contractor to remove or rectify any works that is not in accordance with the drawings and specifications.
- Assist the contractors in preparing & submitting the interim payment certificates monthly.
- Meet and coordinate with the relevant stakeholders so as to minimize disruption to the works and for good communications at site.
- Assist the Construction Manager in preparation of the monthly work progress report
- Update the work schedule and inform the Construction Manager on the work progress on the site.
- At completion of the contracts, verify the contractor’s ‘as-built drawings', quantity and quality records as a true record of the works as constructed.
The Site Inspector will need to perform any other related tasks suited to their position and as instructed by the Construction Manager for implementation of the Infrastructure component of the Project.
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
- The Site Inspector will report progress and performance of the contractor(s) through daily and weekly checkpoint reports submitted to the Construction Manager.
- Updated monthly work plans with progress to date.
- Daily control of the construction process.
- Quality of management in place and enforced.
- Health & Safety and Environmental management at sites.
- Adequate quality control of the construction process.
- Appropriate technical dossier for every site up to date.
- Site management procedures in place and aligned with our clients policies.
- Smooth contract implementation and limited number of issues.
- Timely and qualitative reporting.
- Monthly progress reports and updates.
- Updates on contract progress, delays and contractor performance.
This position reports to the Construction Manager.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Engineering or Infrastructure related field.
- 3 years of relevant construction experience is required.
- Being resident of Garissa County and having work experience in Garissa County are advantages for this position.
Ability to manage own workload and to work independently.
- Well-developed teamwork skills.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work-plans.
- Able and willing to travel and work in difficult conditions in remote areas.
- Excellent working knowledge of written and spoken English including being fully conversant with use of a computer programs.
- Motorbike license is highly desirable.
Supervision of contractors and site laborers is part of this role.
Applicants with a relevant diploma with additional 4 years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to CTG Global career website on recruitmentctg.force.com to apply