Pathfinder International is a global leader in sexual and reproductive health. We place reproductive health care at the center of all that we do—believing that it is not only a fundamental human right, but is critical for expanding life opportunities for women, families, communities, and nations, and paving the way for transformations in environmental stewardship, decreases in population pressures, and innovations in poverty reduction. Pathfinder provides women, men, and adolescents with a range of quality health services—from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment. Pathfinder strives to strengthen access to family planning, advocate for sound reproductive health policies, and, through all of our work, improve the rights and lives of the people we serve.
The HSS Advisor will report to the COP and will be responsible for activities around “Objective 6” and support to the health sector as a whole, including county governance and strategic planning and Human Resources for Health (HRH), and other areas as desired. This position ensures a seamless link between service delivery interventions and county capacity for systems development. S/he will be knowledgeable with the issues around devolution and the functions and organization of the county government, particularly the county health management teams and their capacity gaps.
· Advises the Chief of Party, DCOP, and Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist on the development of HSS strategies, policies and operational frameworks.
· Advises on relations with host country agencies, including central and local government, development partners, civil society, and community-based organizations on the positioning of HSS activities and their potential integration into project activities.
· Gives guidance and provides expert advice on the development of new HSS initiatives/services and on joint planning approaches with other implementation partners.
· Provides advisory and analytical input on how to ensure optimal use of resources at health districts, Ministries of Health and other policy implementing agencies.
· Identifies best practices and the conditions under which existing resources are most effectively used to improve performance of health systems.
· Work in close collaboration with the Chief of Party, DCOP, and Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist to provide advice on HSS, Quality Assurance and Leadership programs implementation.
· Provides advice on works with host country agencies, including central and local government, development partners, civil society, and community-based organizations to mobilize coordination and harmonize support for health systems strengthening.
· Any other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
· A Master’s degree in health policy and administration, health sector development, public health or related field.
· Minimum seven (7) years of relevant, senior-level professional experience managing and implementing health systems strengthening programs in the areas of health policy and administration, health sector development, public health with a minimum of (5) years’ experience in sub-Saharan Africa, Kenya experience preferred.
· Five (5) years demonstrated experience in managing and supervising health systems activities and teams.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level.
· Comprehensive knowledge of the health context and structural issues in Kenya including socioeconomic, institutional and policy issues that are related to essential services in population, health, and nutrition.
· Fluency in English.
Interested and qualified? Go to Pathfinder International career website on www.pathfinder.org to apply