The Aga Khan Foundation
(AKF) is a private, not-for-profit international development agency, which was founded in 1967 by Prince Shah Karim Al Hussaini, Aga Khan IV. AKF seeks to provide long-term solutions to problems of poverty, hunger, illiteracy and ill health in the poorest parts of South and Central Asia, Eastern and Western Africa, and the Middle East.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
A core pillar of AKF’s strategy is to build the capacity of external partners, in civil society, government, and the private sector. To ensure that this mandate is realized effectively and consistently, AKF has created a Civil Society and Organizational Strengthening (CSOS)) Unit. The Head of this CSOS Unit will lead the coordination of key external programmatic partnerships and will ensure that AKF and its partners are maximizing their ability to achieve common goals.
Specifically the Head of the OSS Unit will lead in facilitating organizational development among AKF EA’s partners, including conducting due diligence, carrying out Organisational Capacity Assessments (OCA), diagnosing organizational gaps, consulting on Organisational Development (OD) strategies, and implementing capacity building plans to help CSO partners run more efficiently and effectively
Reports to: Regional Programme Director (RPD).
Staff Directly reporting to this role:
- Team of OD and Civil Society specialists
- The AKDN Civil Society Initiative team
- (May be responsible for managing the project coordination units for future projects)
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
The Head of OSS will:
Management of AKFEA Civil Society Portfolio
- Identify opportunities for the establishment of partnership and engagement with key civil society actors - at the national, provincial and local levels - to ensure harmonization with other AKF initiatives;
- Provide project management oversight and support to Yetu and to the AKDN regional Civil Society Initiative;
- Support resource mobilization and partnership unit of AKF in submission of proposals for civil society strengthening and organisational development across the region;
- Monitor and evaluate the state of civil society in East Africa;
- Support resource mobilisation and partnership development including submission of proposals for civil society strengthening and organisational development in the region;
Oversight for Organisational Strengthening
- Ensure that due diligence parameters are regularly reviewed and applied consistently for new AKF partners
- In liaison with the Programme Implementation Teams and the Partnerships Unit, lead in conducting OCAs on selected CSOs working with AKF EA on issues of common concern
- Support CSOs in developing plans to address identified gaps and pursue organisational opportunities.
- Proactively addresses and responds to OD issues by bringing key stakeholders together to assess root causes and performance gaps, implementing and/or supporting implementation of appropriate interventions, including strategic planning, tactical and project planning, facilitation, instruction, program design, materials development and performance analysis.
- Provide coaching, facilitation, team development, whole systems analysis, process reengineering and organization development services to CSOs during the implementation of organization strengthening initiatives and assure alignment with the organization’s strategic plans.
- Promote best practices for successful CSO leadership and administer targeted development programs for high potential CSOs in areas such as team development, strategic planning, leadership development, organisational redesign, and change management among others.
- Develop/implement standards, policies and procedures to support high quality OD services.
- Plan and monitor OSS budget.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- Identify and manage human and other resources needed to establish and maintain consistent OD services
- In close liaison with the RPD, create a work atmosphere conducive to the development of a motivated, professional team fit for purpose.
- Ensure the OSS staff devote equitable amount time and effort in supporting programmes across the region
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum Master degree in international development in Organizational Development, Business, Psychology or related field;
- Advanced teaching, facilitation, consulting, coaching, program development and management skills.
- Knowledge and experience designing and implementing civil society strengthening and organisational development initiatives.
- 6-8 years Training and/or Organizational Development experience and 3-4 years experience managing professional staff.
- Exceptional English communication skills, able to make strong presentations and produce high quality written reports.
- Experience of working with CSOs across geographical, organization boundaries, cultures & diverse development stakeholders.
- Experience of working in East Africa and knowledge of local cultures. Ability to work in Kiswahili is an advantage.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 50% of the time across the East African region.
Method of Application
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three professional referees by 23rd January,2016 via e-mail to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.