The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Financial Specialist III provides highly specialized finance/accounting-related services to the Africa Division.
The Finance/Accounting Specialist III provides highly specialized services in one or more of the following functions: proposal budget development; financial analysis and reporting; support and design field financial management processes; accounting; management controls and reporting; or similar financial activities for a department or business unit. S/he has a high level of expertise in his/her area(s) of specialization of reporting, proposals, analysis and systems innovation. S/he administers and maintains finance/accounting activities in accordance with TNC policies and procedures and best practices in financial/organizational management. The Finance/Accounting Specialist III provides assistance to all levels of personnel in his/her specialty area. S/he responds to complex operational and employee/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of the subject area with solutions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
• Works toward meeting the strategic priorities of the program by developing and coordinating tactics for approved plans and completing day-to-day tasks.
• Ensures programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
• Reinforces consistency in the organization's policies and procedures and provides support related to relevant field.
• May participate in complex negotiations.
• Prepare financial reports and analysis for programs that compare budgets to actual results, and recommend corrective action as appropriate. Prepares financial analysis for management.
• Work with conservation, philanthropy and external affairs teams on budget development for funding proposals.
• Generate periodic internal and external reports for field and/or management use.
• Assist in developing and implementing appropriate systems, policies and procedures related to financial reporting and analysis.
• Serve as a resource to staff on financial matters, policies, procedures, guidelines and educate staff as required.
• Work collaboratively with other members of the Operations Team to ensure financial management processes in the field complement and support project outcomes, and where necessary, design financial management tools & processes that facilitate strong control environments.
• Reports to Finance Manager and provides interval updates on activities
• Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 4 years' related experience or equivalent combination.
• Experience with complex relational databases.
• Experience using accounting, financial reporting systems and financial analysis.
• Experience of supporting multiple projects in various locations and/or countries.
• Experience in manipulating, analyzing and interpreting data. Advanced expertise in Microsoft Excel
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
• Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
• Technology innovation skills maybe preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Strong understanding of finance operations and systems
• Knowledge of current trends in specific field.
• May require fluency in a foreign language to support global operations.
• MBA, CPA and/or CIA may be preferred.
Interested and qualified? Go to Nature Conservancy career website on careers.nature.org to apply