If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
INSO is a global charity dedicated exclusively to issues of humanitarian safety and to the operation of NGO Safety Offices (NSO) in volatile or insecure contexts. INSO KENYA aims to support security awareness and security management capabilities amongst NGOs within Kenya.
We are now seeking an experienced individual to join our team as a Deputy Safety Adviser (DSA C) who will be based out of the INSO office located in Nairobi.
Starting Date: 1st March 2017
Duration of the Contract: 1 year renewable
2.Purpose of position
The DSA C will deputize the Safety Advisor (SA) for most of his tasks:
- Drafting of high quality security reports
- Supporting the delivering of NGO request services
- Supporting the SA in the management of Field Monitors
· Reports to the Safety Advisor
The list of responsibilities is not exhaustive: other tasks may be requested to adapt operational needs.
Ø Provide NGOs with credible information and contextual analysis of the local and regional security situation.
- Liaise closely with NGOs, the UN
- Contribute to writing comprehensive bi-weekly and quarterly reports on the provincial and regional security situation, as it relates to NGOs
- Pro-actively analyse the context, suggest and draft daily incident reports, threat warnings
- Facilitate bi-weekly NGO security meetings in his/her region of responsibility on request and in link with the SA
- Conduct regular field trip to develop local expertise of the context
Ø Assist in the delivery of other request INSO Services
- Draft Area Brief / Travel Advisory on request of NGOs and in close collaboration with the SA
- Perform security site review on request of NGOs and close collaboration with the SA
- Review NGO security plans on request of NGOs and close collaboration with the SA
- Respond pro-actively to any relevant request of NGOs in terms of safety and security
- Support requesting NGOs in times of crisis on request, in close collaboration with the SA
Ø Support the SA in management
- Support the SA in the management of field monitors
Ø Adhere to INSO security policies and procedures.
- Fully comply with INSO policy directives;
- Observe and maintain the confidentiality and security of all NGO information;
- Observe and maintain the confidentiality and security of any documentation/procedures as outlined by Director
Ø Adopts professional conduct and positive attitude
- Other tasks may be requested and should be executed diligently
- Manage your time in the office effectively.
- Work to ensure a positive working atmosphere by enhancing a cordial working relationship.
- This position is based in Nairobi.
- The position requires the holder to be able to undertake tasks at short notice with due regard to the security environment
- The position requires the holder to be able to work effectively and efficiently without supervision.
- The holder must display a high degree of ethic and responsibility for his/her own actions.
- This position requires a degree of flexibility with respect to working hours
6.Mandatory Requirements: (Applicants MUST have all these)
- Bachelor in IT, Security studies, Journalism, Communication, Political Sciences, History, or any other equivalent diploma
- At least 5 years of security work experience at a mid-management level
- Excellent English writing skills with ability to research and present complex issues in a clear and concise manner
- A good understanding of NGO approaches to security
- A proven ability to develop and maintain working relationships with key security interlocutors
- Excellent Computer skills and knowledge of Windows and Office programs
- Kenyan nationality
7.Preferred Characteristics: (Applicants SHOULD have 1 or more of these)
- 2 or more years of work experience with NGOs
- Deep understanding of the Kenyan security environment and its historical context
- Experience in high quality report production
- Demonstrated capacity to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of engagement
- Staff management experience
Method of Application
Interested persons are requested to send the following to email@example.com not later than 17:00GMT on the 30th of January 2017 and ensure to reference ‘Deputy Safety Adviser Central’ in the subject line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 page maximum).
Up to date CV (5 page maximum).
One writing sample of analytical previously undertaken
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.