Absa Bank Limited
(Absa) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays Africa Group Limited. Absa offers personal and business banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, wealth and investment management as well as bancassurance. Barclays Africa Group Limited is 62.3% owned by Barclays Bank PLC and is listed on the JSE Limited. The Group is one of Africa’s major financial services providers offering personal and business banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, wealth and investment management as well as bancassurance. The Group was formed through combining Absa Group Limited and Barclays’ African operations on 31 July 2013. Reflecting the enlarged group’s pan-African focus, the Group's name changed from Absa Group Limited, to Barclays Africa Group Limited on 2 August 2013. Registered head offices are in South Africa and the Group has majority stakes in banks in Botswana, Ghana,Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania (Barclays Bank Tanzania and National Bank of Commerce), Uganda and Zambia. The Group has representative offices in Namibia and Nigeria, as well as bancassurance operations in Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa and Zambia. Barclays Bank Kenya and Barclays Bank Botswana continue to be listed on their respective stock exchanges.Barclays Bank PLC has operations in Egypt and Zimbabwe, which are part of the African business and continue to be run by Barclays Africa Group’s management
- Managing Investor relations and providing vital information to disseminate the bank’s performance.
- Research information analysis and provision of competitor analysis to help in decision making.
- Understand and challenge the performance of the business via highly effective performance management information and supporting key business decisions through providing detailed analysis of the financial implications of such decisions. To support the business partner community by:
- Providing data analysis and financial modelling support for key projects and decision making within the business.
- Carrying out analysis, summarising performance and preparing presentations of financial and non-financial performance.
Main accountabilities and approximate time split
Accountability: Business Performance Management
Time split%: 45%
- To develop and report financial and other performance measures (metrics) required by the business e.g. the Monthly Business review Pack, Country Performance review and Board papers
- To monitor actual performance against target and to analyse variances.
- Develop investor relations packs, support management in investor relations sessions, preparation of press release and coordinating the results announcement
- To respond to routine and ad hoc information requests.
- To produce reports that enable the identification options for improved financial performance and cost reduction.
- To support the business - in the production and review of specific technical elements of Management Accounts KPIs, margins review, FTP, ALM, endowments.
Accountability: Decision Support Time split%: 40%
- To review the financial business case for all investment projects undertaken by your business and to monitor benefits by gathering data and calculating costs, benefits and post implementation review.
- To provide support and analysis on a range of technical issues in connection with the Financial and Management Accounts e.g. variance/trend analysis (actuals v budget) makeup of specific costs etc.
- To provide competitor analysis on a quarterly basis to support decision making.
- Lead in CFO/Finance mission statement updates, provide commentary to the performance metrics and actions.
Accountability: Strategy & Planning
Time split%: 5%
- Undertake key elements of strategic management activity, involving the identification of how value is created, destroyed and driven in the function.
- To support the business in its MTP/STP/RAF processes.
- Support completion and tracking of the bank strategy
Accountability: Financial Control
Time split%: 5%
- To challenge plans to commit costs, identifying areas for cost efficiency and managing the delivery of benefits.
Accountability: Team and Staff Management
Time Split%: 5%
- Take responsibility for personal performance development, training and career development plans and ensure they are relevant and progressed.
- Actively contribute to both immediate team and relevant customer contacts.
Control and Risk
- “Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards. Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) relevant to the role.”
Technical skills / Competencies
- Part qualified/ newly qualified accountant (those training towards accounting qualifications will be considered).
- Proven experience of working in a financially focused role.
- Financial Modelling.
- Presentation skills.
Knowledge, Expertise and Experience
Knowledge and Expertise - Essential
- An ability to acquire skills quickly to interrogate systems e.g. TM1
- Good communication skills, particularly the ability to summarise large amounts of data and present in a concise and readily understood format. Including the ability to communicate complex financial analysis to non-financial people.
Knowledge And Expertise - Preferred
- Knowledge of Barclays accounting policies and procedures.
- Good understanding of business strategic objectives.
- Good understanding of business processes and activities and the underlying cost drivers.
Barclays Guiding Principles
The Barclays Values provides a framework for how we in Barclays work together and how we serve our customers and the communities we are in
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Absa Bank Limited career website on barclays.taleo.net to apply