If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Médecins sans frontières (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases. It was founded in France in response to the Biafran War. The organization is known in most of the world by its localized name or simply as MSF; in Canada and the United States the name Doctors Without Borders is commonly used. In 2015 over 30,000, mostly local, doctors, nurses and other medical professionals, logistical experts, water and sanitation engineers and administrators provided medical aid in over 70 countries. These doctors and nurses decided to volunteer their time to solve issues of world health. Private donors provide about 90% of the organization's funding, while corporate donations provide the rest, giving MSF an annual budget of approximately US$750 million.
The position requires frequent travel to the field (up to 40% of the time).
- Support the Nairobi Unit with background information and analysis on key medical actors’ activities and priorities in the East Africa Region through networking and participation in technical platforms (East African Community/AU NEPAD/WHO AFRO/Technical bodies/KEMRI/DNDi/ACDC, CSOs) and other global health regional bodies.
- Contribute actively to the Networking Database centralised by the HNU
- Develop medical advocacy frameworks and work plans for operations in general as well as for broader priorities defined by the medical department.
- Support in-country medical advocacy for operations in the region as well as in the broader OCBA’s operational portfolio
- Support Head of Nairobi Unit in representation, including specific advocacy on field and global identified issues
- Represent Access Campaign in the region, including specific advocacy on access issues and coordination on access advocacy with MSF sections operating in the region.
- Draft case studies describing country-level access barriers and MSF’s ongoing work. These case studies can be used to further bilateral advocacy at the mission level or to raise the profile of key access constraints in Access Campaign’s global medical advocacy, including but not limited to R&D and regulatory issues.
- Define, develop and implement specific training modules (curricula) and sessions (courses)
Education and experience
- Min. 3-5 years directly related professional experience
- Masters’ degree in public health
- Good knowledge of international affairs, and genuine interest and demonstrable understanding of and commitment to humanitarian issues
- Advocacy & Humanitarian Affairs training, whether MSF or external is highly recommended.
- Proven and demonstrated analytical political and diplomatic skills; excellent judgment and diplomacy; comfort with advocacy role.
- Ability to research, analyze, and synthesize complex medical topics so as to write reports and high-level business correspondence, and effectively present information to internal and external audiences including senior government, NGO and UN officials.
- Ability to work independently, move projects from conceptual stages to launch, and handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills and excellent verbal and written communications skills including ability to adapt style to suit a wide range of audiences
- Proven excellence in written English (published reports, position papers, etc)
- English and French.
- Other languages would be considered an asset (e.g. Arabic)
- IT skills (windows setting, office package).
- Proven ability to work under tight deadlines and to manage multiple tasks
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Security Awareness and Management
- Excellent verbal and written communication, representation and training skills.
- Availability to travel frequently, either to the field or international meetings.
- Based in: Nairobi, KENYA but with frequent travel to the Field (up to 30%)
- Full time job
- Annual gross salary of Kenya Shillings 4976254
- Other benefits OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting Date: ASAP
Method of Application
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae and cover motivation letter by JANUARY 31st 2017 under the reference “MEDICAL ADVOCACY ADVISOR ´´ to:
MSF SPAIN, East Africa Unit
P.O. Box 60204-00200
Mayfair center, 4th Floor
Ralph Bunche Rd.
MSF will contact only short-listed candidates. Those who had applied in the earlier advert need not to apply again.