The African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) is a not-for-profit organisation that facilitates and promotes public/private partnerships to access, develop, adapt and deliver appropriate agricultural technologies for sustainable use by smallholder farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa. It is headquartered in Nairobi, and its mandate covers sub-Saharan Africa. More information about AATF is available at www.aatf-africa.org
The Managing Director will oversee and manage all business operations, people and ventures of a start-up foundation seed company that will service seed companies in Sub Sahara Africa. The Managing Director will be responsible for the overall success of the business. He/she will be responsible to ensure that this start-up is nurtured into a fully independent and financially viable company. The MD will report to the Company Board of Directors. The position will have responsibility for the development and implementation of the company’s strategic plan, building and maintaining an effective management team, engagement with key stakeholders, and assume full accountability to the Board for all company operations.
This is a full-time position and the successful candidate will initially be engaged on a five-year basis, with the possibility of renewal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Develop and implement the strategic growth and operational plan to achieve overall revenue and volume targets in the different countries as set out by the board of directors.
- Provide strategic advice to the board of directors
- P&L Management -deliver financial targets (net sales, gross profit, SG&A, EBIT, and free cash flow)
- Implement an effective credit management strategy to support sustainable growth of the business.
- Lead and be accountable for business planning, forecasting, and budgeting processes.
- Lead a multifunctional team in developing and executing appropriate go-to-market approaches to achieve complementary commercial and social goals.
- Attract, develop, manage, lead, and inspire a team to ensure consistent high performance, growth and retention of talent, and succession planning for key leadership and high impact roles.
- Build effective relationships, maintain trust and partnerships with key institutions and seed companies in the Sub-Sahara Africa region to ensure collaboration and leveraging of the foundation Seed Company’s mandate and capabilities.
- Measure and leverage on data-driven competitive and market information (competition actions, market trends, satisfaction levels, commercial acceptance and regulatory issues).
- Build, maintain, and leverage relationships with key external stakeholders including regulators, distribution partners, social partners, and seed industry associations.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- At least a Master’s degree in business management and a Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Sciences or related discipline
- Ten (10) years of progressive, senior level experience in business management/administration gained in a reputable national or international organization Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance measures
- Outstanding experience in developing and implementing strategic and operational plans to achieve revenue and volume targets in multiple countries.
- Demonstrated experience in providing strategic advice to a Board of Directors.
- In-depth knowledge of the seed industry in Sub-Sahara Africa.
- Strong private sector experience in P & L Management aimed at delivering financial targets including net sales, gross profit, SG&A, EBIT and free cash-flow.
- Experience in measuring and leveraging on data-driven competitive and market information.
- Demonstrated Experience in leading a multi-functional team in developing and executing appropriate go-to-market approaches to achieve complementary commercial and social goals.
- Demonstrated ability to implement an effective credit management strategy
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance measures including experience in leading a business planning process, forecasting and budgeting processes.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, leading and inspiring a team to ensure consistent high performance, growth and retention of talent as well as succession planning for key leadership and high impact roles.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to maintain trust and partnerships with key institutions and seed companies in Sub Saharan Africa region and ensure collaboration and leveraging of the Foundation Seed Company’s mandate and capabilities.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with external stakeholders including regulators, distribution partners, social partners and seed industry associations.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Experience in establishing a start-up company, preferably in agribusiness
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position and the successful candidate will initially be engaged on a five-year basis, with the possibility of renewal. The job offers a competitive salary and benefits package, and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
Method of Application
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV and a supporting letter in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Ms. Eva Toledo at EToledo@sri-executive.com on or before 10th of February 2017 at 5pm GMT.
All information will be in the strictest confidence, as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as possible, when we have reviewed your application.