If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
provides companies with access to the top 1% of global tech talent. We identify high-potential developers on the African continent, shape them into world-class technical leaders, and pair them with companies as full-time, distributed team members. Accelerate your product roadmap while minimizing time spent interviewing, on-boarding, and training new hires. Andela is backed by investors including Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV, Spark Capital, Omidyar Network, Susa Ventures, Steve Case, Founder Collective, Learn Capital and more. Learn more about us at www.andela.com. Specialties
About the Senior Software Engineer Position
In this role, you will primarily work as a Senior Software Engineer within the Technology department building world-class internal products to support Andela’s business needs.
As the Senior Software Engineer, you will take on complex tasks and complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require very little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, and complete their sub-tasks with relative ease. You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify and suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team. You will drive product velocity and deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization.
You’re the kind of person who:
- Believes that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, and performance are just as important.
- Is constantly learning and expanding your skillsets on and off the job.
- Can mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class.
Responsibilities for the Software Engineer Job
- Work closely with Product Owner and Stakeholders to understand the business needs
- Deliver complex software solutions that meet those needs
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s internal systems
- Promote and nurture good team practices such as TDD, code reviews, and pair programming
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas and approaches
- Mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class
We are interested in a candidate from any background as long as you have a solid understanding of core computer science principles. Here’s an abbreviated list of interesting technologies we currently use:
- Ruby/Ruby on Rails
- Golang, Python
- AngularJS, React
- Postgres, MongoDB, Redis
- Heroku, AWS, Google Cloud, Docker, Kafka
Software Engineer Job Qualifications
- The ability to be located in Lagos, Nigeria or Nairobi, Kenya.
- 3-5 years of software development experience
- Strong understanding of computer science principles
- Experience working in an agile environment (stand ups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- TDD and pair programming experience
- Experience or strong interest in microservices architectures and distributed systems
- Solid written and verbal communication
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field
Method of Application
To Apply, click on the link provided. Check through the list of Jobs available and select Senior Software Engineer at Nairobi.
Interested and qualified? Go to Andela career website on jobs.andela.com to apply