Absa Bank Limited (Absa) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays Africa Group Limited. Absa offers personal and business banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, wealth and investment management as well as bancassurance.
- The function has responsibility for the provision of Forensic investigations, Frauds and Physical security services across BBK and will ensure that solutions are proportionate and fit with business objectives.
- Manage all investigation of cases end to end by ensuring that all the investigative / operating methodologies are adhered to in accordance with the required standards and meet the organisation’s needs in terms of addressing the risks appropriately
- Provide leadership to the Forensic investigations, Physical security and Frauds Operations teams (, Acquiring Fraud Monitoring, Cards Fraud Monitoring, Issuing & Acquiring Chargebacks, Transaction, Application and E-Channels) to ensure implementation of Fraud Management programs through the embedding of RBB Policies to reduce losses.
Main accountabilities and approximate time split
Accountability: Operational and Investigation management
Time split: 50 %
- Identify fraud risks and or emerging risks during the course of an investigation or interactions with internal / external stakeholders are escalated upon discovery, to the relevant Business Unit and the Fraud Risk Management for assessment and closing "gaps" related to processes, policies and systems.
- Ensure case reports contain the findings of the investigation, recommendations addressing people, processes, procedures and system failures or internal and external threats and forward the final report to stakeholders, Human Resources (HR), Legal etc. Identify high-risk Business areas, through feedback feed back received from parties attending risk forums / investigations outcomes and perform specific fraud awareness presentations at the respective Business Units to the identified staff.
- Evaluate scope and allocate cases for investigation within 24 hours of receipt.
- Provide oversight and monitoring of all cases allocated to direct reports for investigation in line with set guidelines and standards
- Ensure recovery actions are initiated at the earliest when losses are discovered and call on those areas to execute actions identified
- Ensure all Significant Risk Events referred for investigation are escalated as per group policy requirements
- Embed Investigative Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines for Investigation Management
- To embed fraud prevention/detection processes and procedures, including systems to manage fraud losses within the given budget & Implementation of Fraud Strategy.
- Link to, and participate in network of stakeholders e.g. other banks, investigators, law enforcement agencies, Card Schemes and Barclays risk and compliance functions collate and interpret loss exposure and data.
- Develop and manage a strategy for risk and security in line with GRCB Physical Security (GPS) policy and strategy. Ensure that a regional security strategy and governance control framework exists to support GPS Policy and Standards.
- Provide input to the GRCB Physical Security policy and governance structure to support the control operations environment and ensure alignment to local regulatory and Barclays Group requirements whilst updating policy, procedures and specifications on business specific security requirement.
- Manages the related physical security work streams for each of the allocated countries and coordinates their effective implementation as part of a coherent policy
- Provides input to the design and implementation of robust operating procedures by routine coordination of issues and specific events and incidents that are appropriate to the regional conditions.
- Implementing strategic and operational direction of contingency plans to avoid or deal with incidents and crisis within the allocated countries.
- Acting as the region or country subject matter expert for the Crisis Management Team when they are stood up.
- Identifying prevalent risks, researching and developing solutions that are cost effective.
- Minimising non-trading losses related to any breaches
- Using effective measurement models to support risk management to mitigate risk, escalate crime predictions to the business and identify trends in crime types and implement appropriate countermeasures
- Obtaining budget and managing cost within allocated budget, managing security service providers within contracts and service level agreements.
- Managing financial performance and spend vs the budget.
- Consult with business units and industry players for opinions on new developments, business specific threats and risk factors, products and solutions as well as changes to policy and procedures
Accountability: People Management
Time split: 20%
- Attracting appropriate staff, coordinating the workload in accordance with specific job requirements.
- Ensure the application of human resources management functions in the department, including:
- Workforce and recruitment demand planning
- Attraction, training and development as well as retention of appropriate talent
- Performance development and consequence management
- Reward and recognition
- Discipline and grievance
- Compliance with all relevant Learning Management requirements.
- Develop and agree individual and team performance objectives, standards and targets.
- Review individual performance, ensuring that training needs are identified and addressed.
- Provide ongoing coaching and feed back on new initiatives etc.
- Responsible for Team administration
Time split: 10%
- Provide feedback to Heads of Business Units / other stakeholders insofar as investigations findings and recommendations are concerned via face to face meeting / email correspondence or Executive reporting's for business to be appraised on the investigation status.
- Develop and maintain relationships (establish relevant networks) with all internal and external stakeholders to ensure that their co-operation can be obtained when required for key operations (e.g., recovery actions, data mining).
- Manage dependencies with internal stakeholders, e.g. Legal, HR.
- Communicate the Forensic Investigations philosophy to direct reports / stakeholders and ensure they understand the responsibilities of Forensic Investigations vs. business unit responsibilities.
- Identify fraud risks and or emerging risks during the course of an investigation or interactions with internal / external stakeholders are escalated upon discovery, to the relevant Business Unit and for assessment and closing "gaps" related to processes, policies and systems. Interact with counterparts in the industry to engender co-operation and gain a common understanding of threats and risks.
- Build and maintain relationships with other external parties (e.g. Banking Fraud Investigation Unit of the Central Bank of Kenya, Criminal Investigation Department, Anti Corruption Commission etc) to ensure that their cooperation can be obtained when required for key investigations.
- For material or significant issues identified recommend corrective action to business unit seniors to change their processes to prevent future recurring issues.
Accountability: Controls, MI Reporting, Compliance and Governance
Time split: 20%
- Participate in production of weekly, Monthly and adhoc MI as appropriate.
- Identify areas of improvements, make suggestions / recommendations on ways of working with regards to the investigative and operating methodologies to line management for further consideration, to improve standards and work flow.
- Adhere and comply with the Group policies and procedures as set out on the Barclays Intranet
- Actively participate in regular meetings with stakeholders / business, providing meaningful input and sharing information on best practises / investigation findings / risk identifications etc.
- Assume oversight of forensic investigations, frauds and physical security resulting from Tip-offs Anonymous reports and report findings to the Director: Barclays Africa Office.
- Set and maintain the minimum standards for team operations in terms of the Barclays Africa Policy.
- Assume responsibility for actions arising out of risk and control assessment (RCA), key risk indicators (KRI) and key performance indicators (KPI).
- Ensure and oversee monthly management information (MI) production and delivery to Control Environment Centre of Excellence (CECoE)(Noida) as per agreed timelines.
Technical skills / Competencies
- People management, both from a staff and customer perspective.
- Analytical thinking
- Communication, verbal and written
- Decision making
- Negotiation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Influencing skills
- Report Writing skills
- Conflict management.
Knowledge, Expertise and Experience
- Thorough knowledge of all of the products and services of Card and Merchant businesses in Africa.
- Thorough knowledge of bank products
- Excellent Risk Management skills- this role is dealing with a cross section of countries across Africa.
- In-depth knowledge of fraud management.
- Satisfies The Fsa Criteria For An Approved Person, Both Initially And Ongoing
- The jobholder must have gained first hand experience with clients and have proven negotiation skills and people management.
- Working within a stringent environment of fraud.
- Experience in Risk Management and fraud prevention
- Knowledge and experience of card schemes Risk Management rules, policies and procedures
- Contacts with Law enforcement in relation to fraud
- Experience & Knowledge in customers, and employees Fraud Prevention Training
- Understanding of customers needs
- Certificate in Fraud Control course.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Absa Bank Limited career website on barclays.taleo.net to apply