The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) – a member of the CGIAR Consortium – develops technologies, innovative methods, and new knowledge that better enable farmers, especially smallholders, to make agriculture competitive and profitable as well as sustainable and resilient. CIAT conducts research for development in tropical regions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia.
Postdoctoral Scientist Job Responsibilities
- Coordinate CIAT’s global activities of the WLE-RDL cluster on Soil Restoration and Soil Carbon.
- Provide administrative leadership of CIAT’s new research project on Scaling up soil carbon enhancement interventions for food security and climate across complex landscapes in Kenya and Ethiopia.
- Contribute to a methodological guide on measuring soil carbon for carbon trading,
- Familiarize with and apply major biophysical models for simulating soil organic carbon-dynamics, such as DayCent, CropSyst and RothC.
- Represent (whenever necessary) the CIAT SoiLS team at international meetings and conferences.
- Communicate project progress, outputs and outcomes on project websites (CIAT and WLE), blogs and other suitable means, and through reports to donors.
- Author or coauthor publications, such as journal articles, posters, brochures, presentations on soil restoration and soil carbon.
- Contribute to the development of new proposals and initiatives of the SoiLS research area.
Qualifications for the Postdoctoral Scientist Job
- PhD degree in agronomy, soil science or related field.
- Very good scientific knowledge on tropical soil, soil organic carbon, and soil biology.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate with diverse groups.
- Fluency in English, spoken and written; Swahili and Amharic language skills are an advantage.
- Capable of managing professional relationships, and working in a complex, intercultural and highly dynamic working environment.
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvements in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning, and be committed to staff development.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
Method of Application
Applicants are invited to visit the website to get full details of the position and to submit their applications clearly indicating “Postdoctoral Scientist – Soil” as the position applied for. Applications closing date: 3rd February 2017. Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Interested and qualified? Go to CIAT career website on recruit.zohopublic.com to apply