If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) is an international, feminist, membership organization committed to achieving gender equality, sustainable development and women's human rights. A dynamic network of women and men around the world, AWID members are researchers, academics, students, educators, activists, business people, policy-makers, development practitioners, funders, and more.
The Senior Legal Adviser's primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support program strategy on litigation, including identifying potential strategic cases at the national, regional, and international levels in collaboration with partner organizations; researching and writing pleadings, legal memoranda, amicus curiae, submissions to regional human rights bodies, UN submissions, and case briefs on comparative and international human rights law; and identifying claims for use in national, regional, and/or international fora;
- Monitor compliance with international obligations relating to reproductive rights and jurisprudential developments;
- Design and implement advocacy strategies to support potential or existing litigation;
- Contribute to the development of advocacy materials and other Center publications;
- Support the development and implementation of a capacity-building strategy on initiatives to advance reproductive rights in the region;
- Undertake fact-finding missions to document and expose human rights violations;
- Develop and maintain relationships with local and regional NGOs and key stakeholders;
- Cultivate pro bono partnerships and develop projects with law firms, law associations, and law schools in the region to leverage the Center's work;
- Represent the Center externally on matters related to reproductive rights in the region through public speaking and interaction with the media;
- Assist the Regional Director with the supervision of interns, volunteers, and pro bono lawyers;
- Support other program, management, and operational activities as necessary; and
- International travel is required.
- Strong commitment to the Center's mission, purpose, and values;
- Degree in law (Juris Doctor or postgraduate) required;
- Minimum 7 years related professional experience;
- Knowledge of international human rights, women's rights, and African human rights system preferred;
- Experience litigating constitutional and human rights cases in Kenyan courts necessary; before regional or international human rights systems a plus;
- Capable of complex legal analytical work and creative and strategic thinking;
- Advocacy experience, including as part of NGO coalitions a plus;
- Excellent writing, editing, research, and oral advocacy skills;
- Very detail-oriented with strong organizational and coordination skills; and
- Ability to work collaboratively, to multi-task, and to work under pressure.
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) career website on www.awid.org to apply