If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Absa Bank Limited
(Absa) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays Africa Group Limited. Absa offers personal and business banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, wealth and investment management as well as bancassurance. Barclays Africa Group Limited is 62.3% owned by Barclays Bank PLC and is listed on the JSE Limited. The Group is one of Africa’s major financial services providers offering personal and business banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, wealth and investment management as well as bancassurance. The Group was formed through combining Absa Group Limited and Barclays’ African operations on 31 July 2013. Reflecting the enlarged group’s pan-African focus, the Group's name changed from Absa Group Limited, to Barclays Africa Group Limited on 2 August 2013. Registered head offices are in South Africa and the Group has majority stakes in banks in Botswana, Ghana,Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania (Barclays Bank Tanzania and National Bank of Commerce), Uganda and Zambia. The Group has representative offices in Namibia and Nigeria, as well as bancassurance operations in Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa and Zambia. Barclays Bank Kenya and Barclays Bank Botswana continue to be listed on their respective stock exchanges.Barclays Bank PLC has operations in Egypt and Zimbabwe, which are part of the African business and continue to be run by Barclays Africa Group’s management
- Facilitate the generation of revenue and assist the business strategic priorities in close working relationship with Business Banking, and Corporate & Investment Banking stakeholders.
- Support the Credit leadership in management of impairment and other losses to ensure these are within agreed budgets / forecasts.
- Improving the control environment for risk activities.
- A credit professional acting as credit expert to the relationship team and the conduit to the Credit Risk function for sanctioning purposes.
- Improve and deepen understanding of our clients needs through joint client visits with the assigned portfolio Relationship Managers. .
- Responsible for developing practical and appropriate credit solutions (i.e. lending structures) through understanding customers’ needs.
- Delivering high quality and consistent, credit applications and making sound recommendations.
- Monitor and control accounts within designated portfolios to ensure early detection of signs of credit deterioration and taking appropriate actions.
- Maintain integrity of Commercial Credit Risk System (CCRS) data ensuring customer is accurately updated.
- Responsible for championing Credit policy issues to the designated portfolio and relationship teams through attendance of industry and portfolio meetings.
- Responsible for efficient use of Bank capital by challenging pricing of facilities within their portfolio and ensuring borrowings to customers meet the minimum required return for the bank.
- Ensuring Risk Key performance measures are captured correctly and in a timely manner to aid in performance management and decision making.
Main accountabilities and approximate time split
Accountability: Understanding Credit/ Solutions Development
Time split%: 35%
- Assessment of credit proposals through analysis of Business and Credit risks associated with the provision of the bank’s products and services to the customer.
- Facilitate the generation of revenue and support business growth through development of high quality credit solutions aimed obtaining fast credit approval from Sanctioning teams.
- Ability to undertake sector and industry analysis to guide the bank in strategy formulation and areas of focus for lending and application of the same within designated portfolio.
Accountability: The Credit Process
Time split%: 50%
- Preparation Credit proposals using the CCRS with relevant supporting documentation and recommendations to Credit managers for Sanction.
- Liaise directly with the Barclays Africa Credit Team (BACT) sanctioning office for all credits that are outside local Risk Team discretion.
- Attend customer meetings with the Relationship Manager where credit related issues are to be discussed/ resolved.
- Support the timely preparation of facility letters through preparation of accurate Facility Letter Aide Memoirs (FLAM) and ensuring all proposed conditions of sanction, covenants and internal risk triggers are correctly and accurately captured.
- Ensure efficient management of capital by ensuring. Where facility letters are not accepted within set timelines, facilities are cancelled from CCRS.
Staff Management Time
- Support the Team Leaders in delivering effective performance development for Corporate Credit Managers Assistants (CCMAs) within the team.
- Drive proactive application of Barclays values both personally and throughout the team.
- Coach and support colleagues within the Team
Risk and Control
- “Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards. Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) relevant to the role.”
Technical skills / Competencies
Education And Experience Required
- Bachelors degree or equivalent and/or the ACIB
- Knowledge of credit analysis techniques
- Accreditation on use of the Commercial Credit Risk system would be an added advantage
Knowledge, Expertise and Experience
- Proven experience in a Credit role at a Management level gained within the Bank or a financial organisation
- Excellent understanding of credit and associated risks
- Experienced user of Commercial Credit Risk System (CCRS) or a similar system to analyse, monitor and report on credit applications.
- Good interpersonal skills that have been proven in a Business or Credit environment at a management level
Knowledge & Skills: (Maximum of 6)
- Knowledge of lending fundamentals, credit procedures and processes as laid out in the Barclays Africa Wholesale Credit Risk Standards.
- Products and services frequently used by customers
- Knowledge of Commercial Credit Risk System and other relevant bank systems.
- Awareness of legislation affecting the Bank and customers having the highest regard for confidentiality.
- A fair understanding of current issues including macro and micro economic environment.
Competencies: (Maximum of 8 competencies)
- Analytical skills
- Communication and presentation skills
- Negotiation skills
- Inter-personal skills
- Report writing skills
- Decision Making / Judgement skills
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Absa Bank Limited career website on barclays.taleo.net to apply