If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Adeso together with other local and national NGOs have come together to form a global network which was launched in May 2016 at the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul, Turkey. The Network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships. The NEAR Network Secretariat is hosted by Adeso in Nairobi, with staff based in various countries.
The Capacity Strengthening Coordinator (CSC) is responsible for developing, coordinating, managing and implementing the NEAR Capacity Strengthening Programme in Asia, Africa and Middle East with a focus on 5 countries. The post-holder will be based in the Nairobi office, but will be expected to travel frequently within Asia, Africa and Middle East region and more specifically to Nepal, South Sudan, Somalia, DRC and Turkey.
The NEAR Network capacity strengthening programme is funded by OFDA and ECHO and works with 25 partners in five countries (Nepal, South Sudan, DRC, Somalia and Turkey). The goal of the programme is to strengthen members’ ability to manage and deliver quality emergency preparedness, response, recovery and resilience programmes. It aims to strengthen organisational capacity of members and raise awareness, commitment and understanding of humanitarian principles and standards across members. The programme focuses on providing in-depth support to a small number of members to develop their leadership, compliance and financial management, communications and fundraising.
Responsibilities for the Capacity Strengthening Coordinator Job
- Provide oversight, management, monitoring and review of the humanitarian capacity development work with individual members and the wider impact of the programme in each country.
- Direct line manager of 2 Capacity and training officers in Asia and Middle East
- Develop detailed work plan with the project staff.
- Review requests from member organisations for capacity development support.
- Capture & share learning experiences including peer learning, and adopt good practices.
- Commission and oversee the work of consultants and service providers working on humanitarian capacity development.
- Contribute to the development of funding proposals for capacity development work as required.
- Ensure monthly reporting from the capacity strengthening team to the secretariat and donors
- Ensure regular meeting with the Finance and Grants officer to review the Budget versus Actual expenditure to ensure the project is on track.
- Provide Accompaniment and Capacity Development Support to Members in Africa, South Sudan, Somalia and DRC (60%)
- Develop selection criteria and identify organizations to benefit from organizational capacity support.
- Oversee the support to 25 organizations to use the self-assessment tool to conduct organizational capacity assessments and develop customized capacity strengthening plans.
Capacity Strengthening Coordinator Job Qualifications
- Proven successes in working with local organisations in capacity building particularly in emergency preparedness and response.
- Experience of supervision of staff working remotely across different regions
- Experience of facilitating internal change processes and participatory learning processes.
- Experience of managing emergency preparedness and response project
- Experience of organisational capacity assessments and capacity development plans.
- Understanding of emergency preparedness planning and procedures.
- Experience of developing and using programme cycle management tools including monitoring and evaluation frameworks and data collection and analysis tools.
- Good financial and budget management skills.
- Understanding of and ability to influence others to incorporate accountability, DRR, gender, protection, HIV/AIDS and diversity in their humanitarian work.
Method of Application
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com , quoting the position in the email subject matter, by February 7, 2017. Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The NEAR Network is an equal opportunity employer