If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Established in 1863, the ICRC operates worldwide, helping people affected by conflict and armed violence and promoting the laws that protect victims of war. An independent and neutral organization, its mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We are based in Geneva, Switzerland, and employ some 14,500 people in more than 80 countries. The ICRC is funded mainly by voluntary donations from governments and from national Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Information Flow and Tracking Deadlines:
- Generally manage the information flow of the Director’s office and from the Regional team and Geneva, the Regional and Country offices, National Societies, ICRC and to the general public.
- Ensure timely and accurate transmission and exchange of information, and follow up to ensure feedback is provided, necessary actions taken and deadlines met.
- Identify and handle confidential/sensitive material professionally while protecting the interests of the Federation, and the Africa Region office.
- Organize and maintain efficient information storage and retrieval systems that guarantees the correctness and integrity of records as well as ease of cross-referencing with well-defined levels of access.
- Liaise with internal and external contacts/stakeholders to promote a good and positive image of the Federation through information exchange and professional feedback.
- Consolidate the quarterly reports for the SG in consultation from the Director, Head of Operations and Regional and Country Offices
- Reconcile and allocate working advances for the Director and follow up with finance to ensure working advance has been cleared.
- Coordinate the Regional Director’s requirements for meetings and arrange meetings, prepare notices and minutes and take notes as necessary.
- Review all outgoing correspondence prepared for the Director; edit as appropriate to ensure correct spelling, grammar, and formatting style. In addition, draft standard administrative correspondence, complete forms for administrative actions and keep records of actions taken.
- Also format documents and prepare power point presentations, tables and charts as may become necessary.
- Schedule briefings and debriefings of Secretariat, PNS and ICRC representatives with relevant regional departments and National Societies as appropriate.
- Prepare and maintain a database of all staff in the Region and regional office
- Maintain and updated database of all ANS
- Create and maintain the yearly eventrix.
Event and Calendar Management
- Manage the Director’s calendar, coordinate and adjust itineraries and schedules, and confirm appointments, and meetings as necessary
- Organize / coordinate events such as retreats, off-site meetings, and official events; ensuring that the required logistics (venue, catering, transportation, lodging, facilitation etc.) are provided for by Administration and Logistics units.
- Take minutes of monthly staff meetings and post on public drive
- Provide secretarial support to the Africa Region Management Team.
- Organize the Director’s travel and related logistics (hotel, per diem etc.) as well as that of external guests as appropriate.
- Visa applications to be done timeously and ensure efficient follow up.
- Prepare meeting pack‘s with relevant documentation including ticket, letter of invitation, accommodation booking, security regulations.
- Share travel information with the relative people in host countries.
- Share information with staff in Region Office
Bachelor’s degree in Office Administration, Social Sciences, Secretarial studies or any other relevant fields
- 5 years or more experience in secretarial services, programme management, public relations and general administration( Required)
- Experience within a RC National Society and/or the Federation Secretariat ( Preferred)
- A good understanding of the Red Cross business, and of regional operations and structures ( Required)
- Experience in customer service operations, and in protocol.( Preferred)
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Practical knowledge of computers (Word processing, Spread sheets,email, database management
- Knowledge of modern office management and practices
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) career website on www.ifrc.org to apply