UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Duties and Responsibilities
Oversee The Development Of Programmes On Women, Peace And Security By Country Office/ Multi Country Office Teams
- Oversee the development of regional programme documents on women, peace and security in the East and Southern Africa Region, including issues of conflict prevention, mediation, peacekeeping, conflict-related sexual violence, justice and security sector reform, transitional justice, national action plans on SCR 1325, preventing and countering violent extremism;
- Provide technical inputs to programme proposals from Country Offices;
- Provide advice on contextualizing/ localizing programme documents, country strategies, and knowledge products;
- Coordinate proper monitoring and reporting for women, peace and security in collaboration with programme teams.
Provide Strategic Policy Support
- Provide policy recommendations and guidance to strategic planning and positioning on women, peace and security in the region;
- Provide technical support to Country Offices and regional organisations for the development of and/or reporting on national and regional action plans on UN SCR 1325 as requested.
Provide Capacity Building Support To Country Office/ Multi Country Office Teams And Partners
- Provide substantive technical and policy support to Multi/Country Office programme teams in developing and strengthening projects/ programmes;
- Develop, implement and monitor capacity building initiatives;
- Provide technical support to partners on implementation of the women, peace and security agenda in the East and Southern Africa Region;
- Provide technical policy advice to programme/ project managers/ specialists in the relevant COs and MCO.
Establish And Strengthen Strategic Partnerships With Stakeholders, Regional/ International Actors And Development Partners
- Build and maintain alliances and strategic partnerships for the advancement of the women, peace and security agenda in the East and Southern Africa Region;
- Build and maintain close liaisons with relevant donors and other actors supporting efforts towards women, peace and security implementation in the region.
Oversee The Design Of a Research Agenda For The East And Southern Africa Region And The Development Of Knowledge Products On Women, Peace And Security
- Provide policy recommendations and guidance to strategic planning and positioning on women, peace and security in the East and Southern Africa region;
- Work closely with and provide advice to regional/ national bodies and interagency groups that influence national policies related to women, peace and security, and where necessary represent UN Women;
- Research, develop and present analytical reports, research papers, briefing notes, background papers, summaries, correspondence, and knowledge products on women, peace and security;
- Identify promising practices, technical expertise, and strategic opportunities in the area of women, peace and security.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality technical advice and support;
- Leadership in area of expertise in the region;
- Quality reports and other strategic documents drafted and submitted in a timely manner;
- Strong relationships with various partners and stakeholders;
- UN Women is well represented in important meetings on topics related to expertise;
- Contributions to resource mobilization;
- Timely and quality knowledge products.
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect For Diversity
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics And Values
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development And Innovation
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work In Teams
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating And Information Sharing
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management And Emotional Intelligence
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning And Knowledge Sharing
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate And Transparent Decision Making
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent knowledge of women, peace and security, including issues of conflict prevention, mediation, peacekeeping, conflict-related sexual violence, justice and security sector reform, transitional justice, national action plans on SCR 1325, preventing and countering violent extremism;
- Strong knowledge of the region;
- Knowledge of the UN System;
- Excellent networking skills;
- Ability to interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising;
- Ability to perform qualitative and quantitative policy research;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to write policy papers, speeches, briefings;
- Strong knowledge of programme development, implementation, results based management and reporting.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in gender, peacebuilding, human rights, international relations or other social science fields is required.
- At least 7 years progressively responsible experience in designing and managing programmes and advocating for women, peace and security, ideally with some experience in developing countries;
- Experience in programme, policy analysis, and strategic planning;
- Experience working with, and building partnerships with governments, donors and civil society organizations internationally and in the field;
- Experience working with the UN is an asset;
- Experience working in the East and Southern Africa Region is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an asset.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UN Women career website on jobs.undp.org to apply