The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. It provides expert advice, training, and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Programme Assistant in the provision of technical and administrative support and to participate in project activities;
- Assisting the project team in research and drafting of tasks, in particular with regard to policy briefs, blog posts and reporting.
- Identify and analyze new and emerging trends and areas on resilience, DRM, and conflict prevention and peace-building.
- Support communication and advocacy efforts and maintain relationships with partners, affiliated institutions, and existing and potential new members;
- Assist with knowledge management through support in web management, maintenance and updating of social media platforms;
- Provide editing support, synthesize information and package project reports, bulletins, etc. in accordance with formats and requirements;
- Develop communication materials (i.e. newsletters, reports, bulletins, etc.) using advance graphic design and layout for the project, ICPAC/IGAD, and UNDP;
- Facilitate dissemination of communication materials and products through various media channels;
- Provide administrative and events management support to the project team and activities;
- Perform other duties and tasks as may be assigned.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Strong organizational and research skills
- Excellent skills in the usage of computer software packages
- Excellent critical reasoning and problem solving skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative;
- Willingness to learn and apply new analytical approaches.
Required Skills And Experience
- The candidate must be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Knowledge of disaster management is an asset.
- Experience in event organization, in analytical research and in online social media and communications strongly desirable;
- Sound computer skills and experience using the Internet and web based applications and content management systems.
Conditions Of The Internship
- Interns are considered gratis personnel. They are not staff members;
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP. The costs associated must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for transport, accommodation, etc;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship.
- The Intern is expected to report for work in UNON or IGAD premises.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNDP career website on jobs.undp.org to apply