Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality and works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs. CRS has been helping poor, vulnerable families improve their lives through orphans and vulnerable children, agriculture, health, microfinance, and WASH programming in Kenya since 1965.
JOB SUMMARY:** The consultant will lead capture work for the upcoming Kenya Investment Mechanism award, expected to be released between February-March 2017. In coordination with the business development manager, the consultant will identify priority areas for capture work, perform desk research relevant to the WASH market in priority areas, and meet with stakeholders at the local level as necessary to gather necessary technical inputs. The consultant will produce a report that describes the WASH market in priority areas, details key financing gaps and opportunities, and identifies potential private sector partners for WASH sector investment.
- Map the WASH sector in priority areas, with special attention to the water supply and sanitation value chains
- Document and prioritize WASH value chain models for impact investment
- Identify private sector organizations active in the WASH sector
- Identify promising ICT models/innovations related to the WASH sector
- Assess the policy and regulatory environment for WASH investment in priority areas
- Identify financing gaps in the WASH market
- Stay abreast of updates pertaining to the Kenya Investment Mechanism award release.
- Meet with key stakeholders including Government: the Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Water Resource Management Authority, KEPSA, Water Services Boards, water service providers, private sector water-related enterprises, County government actors, and water management committees, to assess current strengths/gaps in WASH investment. Document all relevant meetings
- Meet with key civil society stakeholders including international and local NGOs to gather information about other projects and programs in the priority areas
- Perform desk review of relevant online and archival documents
- Produce a report based on the findings of these activities
- WASH Private Sector Investment Analysis Report, including the following information:
- Evaluation of devolution and policy reform leading to identification of current opportunities for private sector engagement at county level for improved WASH service delivery. This includes but is not limited to the following policies and strategies: water, public health, investment, licensing, taxes/levies, private public partnership, etc. This should also include legislative and policy-level incentives meant to encourage investment.
- Identification of investment services offered by financial institutions for WASH-related investments and opportunities that exists in creating new products that target this sector.
- Identification of incentives and disincentives that hinder full coverage in the following value chains: water supply (rural, peri-urban and urban) and sanitation.
- Relevant secondary materials submitted to CRS Kenya office.
AGENCY-WIDE COMPETENCIES (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
- Degree in water engineering, applied economics, or related field
- Strong knowledge of the WASH sector in Kenya
- Experience developing USAID proposals and familiarity with their policies, procedures, and priorities; experience with Contracts preferred
- Exceptional communication skills and superior writing ability
- Demonstrated successful experience in project design
- Strong representation skills
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills
- Experience with and commitment to working in a team structure
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) required
- Demonstrated cost application development skills; extensive experience with proposal budgets and budget notes
- Excellent communication and interpersonal and networking skills required
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST:
Catholic Relief Services envisages the entire exercise lasting NOT more than 30 working days, which includes desk‐review, preparation, implementation, and report‐writing. Interested candidates are requested to submit their application detailing the following:
- A capability statement: State the firm/organization or individual’s experience relevant to the assignment, curriculum vitae of key personnel, appropriate references and relevant testimonials. Please state your availability to begin the assignment.
- Technical Proposal: Provide an understanding and interpretation of the terms of reference, proposed time and activity schedule for the proposed activities.
- Financial proposal: Include all proposed costs in local currency (i.e. consultation fees as well as operational costs).
- CVs for lead and associate consultants with their specific roles outlined. (Please note the consultancy should include only CVs of those who directly participate).
- Contacts of three organizations that have recently (within the last 3 years) contracted the firm/consultant(s) to carry out relevant research, surveys, or related work in WASH sub sector.
- Hardcopy of the last submitted report for a similar undertaking authored by the same lead consultant or group of consultants.
DISCLAIMER CLAUSE:** This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Method of Application
SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS:
The proposal can be directed to the email address below indicating the reference number (Ref: 2017/C/001 by close of business Friday, February 10, 2017.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya Program
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment. Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment