If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
World Vision is an international Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation working in almost 100 countries world-wide to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Purpose Of The Position
The Food Assistance Information Systems Technical Specialist is responsible for supporting system deployments and field-based technical operations pertaining to the Last Mile Mobile Solutions (LMMS) and Commodity Tracking system CTS.
This includes identifying equipment needs, readying of systems in food assistance projects, the provision of technical support to country deployments by leading technical and end-user training events, and providing on-call/demand technical support to assigned countries implementing the technology solution. This position will also require delivering systems maintenance, soliciting client user requirements, and assisting with new/upgraded system installations as well as identifying relevant technologies for humanitarian aid delivery.
The position demands regular reporting to various stakeholders on IT and Food Assistance Information Systems issues pertaining to technologies such as LMMS & CTS. In order to successfully do so, the position holder must be able to effectively communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others.
Lead the reorganization of the Systems Support under FAIM so that it is fit for the future while ensuring smart working for effective customer support. This includes:
- Re-envisioning ‘client support’ so that it is less dependent on people and therefore scalable.
- Broadening customer support from a focus on technology to a focus on the people, processes, and organizational culture required for robust, predicative, and dynamic information management.
- Leading change management processes at a ‘field’ level to influence how organization’s responses are staffed and structured.
- Influencing organizational design and changing mindsets to ensure robust support of information management and cash based programming at scale.
- Efficient and innovative capacity building mechanisms that ensure an ongoing knowledge acquisition culture such as self-test materials online.
- Support the NOs in planning for new LMMS deployments, expanding to new areas of food assistance projects.
- Leads capacity development with NO end user and technical staff to ensure adequate technical coverage as LMMS scale in implementing country offices.
- Support field based technical specialists in overseeing wireless connectivity issues between mobile devices and roaming servers in field operations, troubleshooting where necessary.
- Ensures correct functioning of LMMS in beneficiary registration, enrolment, household updates and commodity distribution activities. Troubleshoots technical problems as they arise.
- Ensure backups of field data collection and ensures safety of data collected in field operations by making sure encrypted backup is done by field technical staff.
- Help administer system users and to customize country baseline databases for LMMS use in existing and new deployments countries.
- Leads regular technical and end user training events online when new releases are availed to the field deployments to orient staff with new functionality.
- Report technical failures, help to replicate problems and lead field installations with system upgrades/new releases.
- Document technical shortfalls within the existing mobile product offering and with new version releases.
- Serve as technical point of contact/support for NO technical support staff and the system development team on areas of further support. Includes being on-call for support to the assigned client based.
- Monitor/support in-country training plans.
- Identify appropriate training methodologies and assist in delivery of such training to WV staff and partners on the LMMS.
- Maintain channels of communication with country offices and provide information on available training opportunities within or outside the partnership.
- Coordinate with senior staff to ensure that plans for deploying LMMS in country programs are considered and appropriate budgeting information included in programs.
- Provide regular reporting on field level system deployments/user experience to various stakeholder groups.
- Maintain communication channels with existing and new deployments country to ensure LMMS is running smoothly in these countries and no faltering whatsoever.
- Maintain communication channels with training participants in order to monitor if training events are producing the intended impacts.
- Maintain end-user guiding documentation, technical user documents and user guiding policies for end user and technical staff use.
- Maintain information on trained staff, this will serve as a resource for HR by readily providing qualified staff for relevant roles in Food Assistance Information Systems.
- Manage the FAIR Interest Group by ensuring focused and quality discussions. Ensure discussions are well captured with clear deliverables, suggested solutions, recommendations, etc.
CTS Technical Support
- Provide Technical support to NO on CTS Installation and configuration.
- Provide Hardware suggestions in using the CTS.
- Guide FAIRO in operational CTS issues and Field Operational Issues that leads to reporting.
- Train field based staff in CTS operations and usage.
- Liaise with field based staff and CTS developers to enhance features and functions in CTS in line with user needs.
- Escalate technical issues to CTS developers and/or management.
- Support testing of new modules, features and functions in CTS database.
Maintenance Of Food Grants Database (FGDB)
- Develop new reports as required by NOs/SOs.
- Fix database errors.
- Update the system documentation (User Guide).
- Assist users in posting of reports.
- Understand the database schema and integrate with other systems or third party products.
- Perform backups and recoveries.
- Perform routine maintenance, recovery, and handling failover of the database.
- Solve database performance problems.
- Responsible for database security and user audit.
- Manage access permissions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A bachelor’s degree in computing sciences or related fields with substantial exposure to World Vision commodity and aid assistance business process, mobile computing technologies, Android operating system and Windows Operating systems.
- Expert training in secured computer networking, exposure to Object Oriented Programming and Database Management Systems with particular Emphasis to RDBMS inclusive of MySQL.
- Technical skills and experience in Lotus Notes application development with applicable programming languages and frameworks such as @Formulas and LotusScript, to Java and AJAX. Must be able to integrate Lotus with any third-party products using any means - from DECS and LEI to Web Services.
- Good understanding of Object Oriented languages – in particular Java and networking standards (including mobile communications), Database management systems with particular emphasis on MySQL scripting.
- Understanding of Web Services in particular XML messaging and the use of Apache Tomcat.
- Ability to troubleshoot and document IT/software programming problems – both hardware and identify software failings.
- Good written and oral communication skills; strong communication skills to interact with all levels of staff and management.
- Must have strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills with an attention to details with the ability to effectively present concepts to lay users in various settings and by various means (verbal and written).
- Requires a good understanding of the project life cycle with emphasis on analysis, user requirements, and gap analysis etc.
- Teamwork – Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Substantial experience (3+ years) in capacity building pertaining to software systems and in provision of technical support to software system users.
- Must have experience that indicates strong client-service focus in capacity development and issue resolution (responsive to requests, professional interactions, troubleshooting).
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English.
- Basic written and verbal communication in French
- Project management certificate preferred.
- Evidence of networking certificates (such as CISCO certifications) preferred.
- Experience in delivering varied experience user training on IT systems.
- Experience in Database Management Systems.
- Professionalism - Demonstrated effectiveness in developing training programmes and procedures.
- Experience in the practical delivery of training.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and/or international work environment.
- Commitment to continuous learning - Develop self, and maintain knowledge in relevant field at all times.
- Self-driven learning: Seeks out new technologies, techniques or tools for humanitarian aid delivery.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- Understanding of key challenges for aid agencies in rolling out mobile and other digital platforms in remote areas.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networks.
- Light programming (usually scripting, which involves writing programs to automate tasks).
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 70% of the time.
- This position requires ability and willingness to be deployed in emergency context within short notice.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to World Vision Kenya career website on careers.wvi.org to apply