In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women
, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment:
The Specialist will also provide technical support and content expertise on mainstreaming a gender approach into key elements of the UNCT’s planning and programming. She/he works will also work in close collaboration with UN Women Kenya programme staff, UN staff and agencies and other partners in ensuring successful support to promoting gender equality in their work.
Gender Specialist Job Responsibilities
Coordination and Knowledge Management:
- Play a coordination role by supporting the UN system, in the development and implementation of programmes in support of international and national commitments on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls as outlined in the UNDAF 2014-18;
- Provision of technical advice to the UN Resident Coordinator (RC) as required, in the coordination of emerging technical and development assistance to the Government of Kenya and civil society, ensuring emerging development support responds to women’s needs and national gender equality priorities;
- Contribute to mainstreaming gender equality and women’s empowerment into all programs related to the UNDAF implementation in a coherent manner, through close consultation with the UN Gender Working Group (GWG), all UN agencies and the Chair/co-chairs of the UNDAF Strategic Area Result Groups and Outcome Result Groups;
- Coordinate capacity building efforts on gender mainstreaming at all stages of the UNDAF implementation (bi-annual work planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation), development of a new UNDAF as well as other processes related to fulfilling the Delivering as One agenda in close consultation with UN Women and other UN agencies;
- With the support of the Gender Focal Points build and promote internal capabilities and collaboration in mainstreaming gender within UNDAF;
- Act as resource person in capacity building, knowledge sharing events and other relevant activities on gender equality and women’s empowerment in the UN System;
- Coordinate gender equality and women’s empowerment activities of the RCO in close consultation with other specialists (peace and development, human rights, monitoring and evaluation);
- Ensure knowledge sharing, documentation and dissemination of good practices on gender equality, women’s empowerment and rights within the UNCT and the broader UN system;
- Support in close consultation with UN Communications Group, the communication of gender equality and women’s empowerment results to external audiences.
Strategic advice to the UN RC and UNCT in promoting women’s rights and gender equality in the country:
- Provide analysis and strategic advice to the UNCT on current gender issues and opportunities to support inclusive engagement of women in the development and humanitarian assistance provided by the UN in Kenya including through preparation of regular analytical briefs;
- Identify and advise on entry points for new initiatives for the UN to strengthen national and local capacities for gender equality and to support the advancement of women’s empowerment and gender equality in the country in close consultation with UN Women and other UN agencies;
- Ensure the UNCT utilizes key accountability tools and processes (e.g. the Gender Score Card, Gender Marker) to ensure that the UN in Kenya tracks and is accountable for gender equality and women’s empowerment during the UNDAF implementation;
- Advise and support the UNCT in forging strategic partnerships at the national and local level to promote gender equality, women’s advancement and women’s representation.
Representation and Partnership Building:
- Support inter-agency coordination on gender including support to the workings of the UN GWG in close consultation with the Chair and Co-Chair as well as UN Women who are the Secretariat;
- Represent the UN at inter-agency, intergovernmental, international, regional and national conferences and meetings and advocate the UN’s positions on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- At the request of the Resident Coordinator, represent the UN system on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues at conferences and meetings to present UN system efforts for the advancement of gender equality in Kenya;
- Maintain active relationship/partnerships with National Government Counterparts, UN System, international community, inter-government and non-governmental organizations, institutes and academia on women’s issue to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and share and influence agenda and priority setting.
Qualifications for the Gender Specialist Job
- Master’s degree or equivalent in gender, women’s studies, social sciences, international development, international relations or other development-related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in development, focused on providing policy advice, technical assistance and/or programming around gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights issues; part of which should include previous field experience with the UN or an international development organization;
- Experience writing analytical documents and reports;
- Experience in coordination and advocacy;
- Strong public speaking skills and representational experience. Knowledge of and experience in Kenya desirable;
- Good knowledge of the UN system;
- Substantive experience and record of accomplishment in gender equality and women’s empowerment issues at policy and programming level;
- Experience with implementing gender mainstreaming agendas across a variety of sectors, including experience gender mainstreaming in governmental bodies;
- Experience working with the UN in development and humanitarian contexts;
- Experience working with women’s movements, and civil society and familiarity with women’s rights organizations and networks in the region and globally.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UN Women career website on jobs.undp.org to apply