If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP
) is the United Nations' global development network. Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. It provides expert advice, training, and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the collection & maintenance of primary data and information elements, in humanitarian context, that are required internally and externally to support humanitarian decision-making
- Responsible for strategic and operational decision-making by coordinating the processing and analysis of data and information and presenting it in the format most useful for analysis (e.g. reports, maps) using latest data visualisation and mapping technologies.
- working in close collaboration with OCHA staff and regional partners, be responsible for updating regional mailing list database,
- Ensures structured dissemination of OCHA EA information products and services (e.g. reports, data, maps) through, for example, hard copy, standalone executable programmes, regional mailing lists and websites
- Work in close collaboration with the OCHA EA reporting and coordination team to actively update contents on the OCHA EA humanitarian response and corporate website;
- Act as the focal point for the regional meeting calendar updates to ensure that all relevant meetings held in the region are displayed on the calendar;
- Be the responsible to input all relevant documents on the OCHA EA shared drive and or on the Dropbox
- Be available to deploy to countries in the region and outside, sometimes on long-term, to provide Information Management mission support.
- Any other duties as may be requested by OCHA Head of Office or the head of the Information Management Unit
- Professionalism – Exposure to a wide range of information management systems related to humanitarian activities, conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, demonstrated problem-solving skills. Good knowledge of the region/country and ability to influence others to reach agreement.
- Client Orientation – Ability to identify and analyse clients needs and refer that to the IM supervisor for improvement of the IM tools;
- Commitment to Continuous Learning – Willingness to keep abreast of new IM tools;
- Communications – Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information, effectively advice clients on systems related issues, applications, etc…
- Judgment - Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Teamwork – Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Planning & Organizing – Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities
Required Skills and Experience
Master Degree or Bachelor’s Degree with combination of education, certification and experience in the IM and/or GIS relevant area is essential.
At least 2 years of progressively experience in the area of IM combines with a Master’s degree or 4 years’ experience if combined with a Bachelor’s degree. Extensive work Familiarity with industry standard GIS and Graphics design software is an advantage. Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking environment is an asset. Experience in managing IM teams.
Fluency in written and spoken English is essential; fluency in one or more local languages is highly desirable and may be a requirement.
Understanding of organization’s information management infrastructure and as it relates to user area and availability for regular trips to the areas where vulnerable population are located
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNDP career website on jobs.undp.org to apply