If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Starehe Girls’ Centre is a National boarding school that offers secondary education to purely financially disadvantaged girls from all provinces of Kenya. The school was founded in January 2005 as a charitable institution. It caters for all the girls’ academic emotional and social needs.
The successful applicant to this position will be required to supervise housekeeping and ensure the welfare of the students in the hostels are well maintained according to the school standards.
- KCSE mean grade C+ (Plus) and above
- Certificate or diploma in housekeeping from a recognized institution
- Be mature in age, preferably minimum 35 years
- Minimum working experience at least 5 in learning institution
- Must have passion and commitment to work with children/students
- Experience in guidance and counseling is an added advantage
Expected Working Duties
School matron will be based in boarding section.
The job involve responsible for partially health but mostly well-being of the students and the smooth running of their domestic side of school life.
It involves working closely with the Boarding Mistress who has overall responsibility for the care of boarding students out of school hours.
The work would normally include all or most of the following:
- Being aware of their individual health problems and liaise with the school Nurse
- Looking after students with minor illnesses and giving out non-prescription medicines
- Keeping students records up to date.
- Helping students settle in to school life by providing a sympathetic ear and support
- Working with members of staff to help students enjoy school life and to achieve their potential
- Taking responsibility with other house staff for supervising students, making sure they are clean and well behaved when they are not in school
- Supervising waking up, meals, bedtime and prep attendance
- Maintain discipline in the dormitories.
- Ensuring students have clean clothes, which are repaired and replaced when necessary
- Supervising cleaning and boarding staff
- Ordering cleaning and boarding supplies
- Carrying out an inventory of fixtures and fittings in the boarding section and reporting the need for repairs and replacements.
Hours and Environment
The matron will live in provided accommodation within the school and the nature of work calls for long hours, including being on call for emergencies. There will be agreed time off, including some weekends.
During the school holidays she have more free time, but may still be responsible for visitors who may seek for accommodation or other holiday activities.
Skills and Interests
- Have a warm and sympathetic personality
- Be tactful and a good listener
- Be firm but fair
- Have a sound knowledge of first aid
- Be practical and keep a cool head in emergencies
- Be a team worker
- Be an excellent communicator
- Be discreet and adhere to confidentiality
- Have patience and a sense of humour
- Be physically fit
Method of Application
If you are up to the challenge, possess the necessary qualifications and experience, please send your CV, three referees with cover letter quoting the job title on the email subject to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 14th February, 2017.
Only candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted.