If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The International Rescue Committee
is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization.
The Livelihoods & ERD will be responsible for the provision of coordination and support as well as strategic planning and technical guidance on activities within the area of Livelihoods and Food security. He/She will play a leading role in designing and formulating appropriate project proposals and assistance activities to be incorporated into the relevant country programs of IRC. Moreover, he/she will support the Country Program Team in the planning, design, implementation, supervision, and potential expansion/development and administration of technical Livelihoods and ERD interventions.
He will work under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director for Programs while maintaining technical relationships with the regional Technical Advisor, and coordinate his/her activities with relevant technical sectors in the country.
The post holder will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
Strategic direction of the livelihood program
- In consultation with the Deputy Country Director-Programs, lead the strategic direction of the livelihoods and ERD programs. This involves an analysis of external and internal context and the development of detailed livelihood sector strategic plans.
- Contribute actively to the development, revision, monitoring and implementation of the IRC Somalia Country Strategy and the development of related country sector strategies.
- Ensure that all work follows the IRC Program Framework, the IRC Somalia Strategic Plan and IRC global policies and procedures, donor contract and agreement obligations.
- Ensure that all livelihood projects are aligned to the sector strategy and country strategy and develop monitoring, quality and impact indicators to monitor the achievement of IRC strategic plan and sector strategy
- Maintain an overview, monitoring and analysis of the external and internal parameters of the humanitarian and development context and use own skills and experience in providing proactive scenario development.
- Contribute to updates of the IRC Somalia Safety and Security Management as appropriate.
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
- Enhance coordination and advocacy with other stakeholders so as to avoid any overlaps and duplication of projects with other actors.
- Attend monthly and quarterly coordination meetings in Nairobi and share minutes of meetings with the DDP and other concerned staff;
- Generate livelihoods and ERD related data to be used by the Country Senior Management ,food security cluster, and other relevant staff to influence donor policies with the purpose of generating more funding;
- Improve collaboration and cooperation with other partners and donors featured in the engagement of more partners and donors and the achievement of more harmonization;
- Ensure that all IRC livelihoods and ERD projects are in line with the contextual dynamics and priorities agreed among stakeholders in Somalia.
- Built good relationships with authorities, partners, international and national organizations, authorities in the region and the country
- Represent IRC in external coordination meetings with UN/ NGOs, donors, partners and government in Nairobi.
Program Development and Planning
- Lead the development and expansion of the IRC livelihoods and ERD sector throughout Somalia. This involves conducting periodic quality assessment and research, development of quality concept notes and proposals and development of new projects and initiatives
- Conduct periodic desk reviews on the available livelihoods and ERD literature and compile the reports and publications on the same.
Program implementation and monitoring (M&E)
- Lead the process of development of M&E systems and impact assessment for the livelihoods and ERD sector in IRC Somalia. This includes the development of livelihoods and ERD Sector M&E frameworks developed in line with the IRC Somalia country strategy and livelihoods and ERD sector strategy; development of specific M&E system for each livelihood s and ERD grant; submission of periodic donor reports; and establishment of baseline data collection system through surveys and other relevant mechanisms; and documentation and sharing of case studies within the organization.
- Ensure effective and high quality reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use capturing best practice to support program decision-making.
- Maintain regular communications on program work to the Deputy of Director-Program.
Technical support (Livelihoods and ERD)
- Ensure the technical aspects of the programming are implemented using best available practices.
- Provide and document quality technical advice to all livelihood program staff to ensure that quality control measures are fully understood by program teams. This will involve regular visits to the program areas and providing feedback
- Develop program quality indicators based on the livelihood strategic plan and monitor program quality in consultation with the staff, communities and local authorities.
- Ensure all livelihoods & ERD project are in line with the internationally accepted standards.
- Lead the development of realistic budgets for the livelihoods and ERD program both in the short-term and the long-term and identify the areas which require fundraising.
- Review sector budgets and expenditures and advice the projects coordinator and DPP accordingly.
Staff management and development
- Conduct capacity/training needs assessment and identity areas for further capacity development in line with the sector strategic plan.
- Actively engage in national program staff capacity building in key aspects of program cycle management including program design, implementation and monitoring.
- Ensure gender mainstreaming and conflict sensitive programming within the livelihoods program and promote the monitoring of interventions addressing gender and conflict issues. In particular to promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work and to ensure that IRC’s program is an opportunity for peace making, rather than community division.
- Ensure effective frequent communication and feedback with the field.
- Develop the capacity of the livelihood staff in line with identified gaps and strategic areas.
Program quality and impact evaluation
- Take an active and hands on role in assessing impact and changing trends, advising on appropriate interventions and implementation where necessary and regularly review these against forecasts and action plans to enable integrated planning
- Responsible for developing clear exit strategies from the current emergency programme ensuring that it links into recovery and longer-term Livelihoods programming.
- Learn the new impact evaluation methodologies and consider the application of these methodologies in livelihoods and ERD programs and projects.
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture, food security, international development, disaster risk management or related field.
- A of Minimum 5 years’ experience working within international development, including direct experience managing a national Livelihoods program in fragile and post conflict environments in a developing country.
- Demonstrated ability in managing projects, including project design, proposal development, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc.
- At least 2 years’ experience working with disaster risk reduction, climate change adaption and resilience building programs and/or projects. Experience in community managed/based disaster risk reduction, and pastoral field school approach is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience exploring, managing and strengthening partnerships.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills – innovative thinker.
- Experience developing and leading trainings, workshops, evaluations, etc.
- Ability to create a team environment and coordinate with other departments. And the ability to manage time, prioritize tasks, respond quickly to requests.
- Excellent communication (English), inter-personal and problem solving skills. And a working understanding of Somali would be an asset.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Experience with remote management;
- Proven experience managing multiple funding sources, producing donor proposals and reports
- Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Previous experience in emergency preparedness and response.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee career website on chm.tbe.taleo.net to apply