If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
IDLO is the only intergovernmental organization exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law. Governments, multilateral organizations, private foundations and the private sector support our work. We are headquartered in Rome, where we were first founded, and where we continue to enjoy strong support from the Italian government. We are present in The Hague, a city whose hospitality connects us with an unrivaled legal tradition. And we are represented at the United Nations in New York and Geneva, where we help shape the debate about human rights and development.
Under the direct supervision and in close cooperation with the IDLO Regional Program Manager, Africa, the Country Director shall perform the following duties:
- Lead the overall management of the Program, including substantive and administrative matters, to ensure an effective, efficient and timely delivery of activities and results;
- Oversee the implementation of the Program’s work plan, analyze and anticipate delays and challenges, proposing adjustments as required;
- Supervise and mentor nationally and internationally recruited personnel;
- Perform representational role and function as directed by the Director General and adequately represent IDLO at relevant meetings/fora;
- Provide technical support and supervision to ensure compliance with IDLO’s high quality standards throughout the implementation of the Program’s activities;
- Oversee the provision of administrative assistance to national experts regarding their day-today operations, including but not limited to administration, procurement, human resources, logistics and finance, ensuring accurate records keeping;
- Timely submit monthly reports outlining progress made towards the achievement of objectives to the IDLO Regional Program Manager, Africa;
- Oversee the local financial management of the program, review the Program’s financial reporting and lead the development of the Program’s budget forecasts;
- Liaise – for coordination and cooperation purposes - with donor representatives as well as with other national and international stakeholders involved in justice sector reform and access to justice initiatives in Kenya;
- Monitor the Program implementation environment, including security, political, development and personnel issues that may affect implementation of IDLO projects; In coordination with IDLO’s Regional Security Adviser and Country Security focal person, record issues and risks and guide necessary responses of the Program to changes in the political and security situation;
- Supervise the preparation of timely donor narrative reports in collaboration with the relevant Program managers at the Country Office level and in consultation with the Regional Program Manager at IDLO Headquarters;
- Review internal and external financial reports produced by the Program Finance team, identify areas of under or over spending, update financial forecasts;
- Identify and report on timely manner any difficulty or possible change in the Program strategy, objectives, results or activities, and make recommendations for timely and optimal course corrections;
- Identify project and team successes and lead documentation for internal and external information sharing;
- Identify new program opportunities and develop project proposals for funding (including performance indicators, monitoring and evaluation frameworks, work-plans and budgets);
- Maintain relationships with the counterparts and the local partners/stakeholders.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE Education
- Graduate degree in Law, International Relations, Development Studies or other relevant field is required. A Master’s degree in a related field is highly desirable. Experience
- Minimum of 10-12 years’ of progressively responsible proefessional experience within the international development sector in the areas of: Human rights, Governance, Constitutional development, or Justice sector reform, including the development, implementation and monitoring of capacity building programs;
- Demonstrated experience in management role and proven track record in program management, program administration;
- Experience in capacity building programs in post conflict countries, building the capacity of a broad range of national actors;
- Experience working in Kenya and the Africa region; Language
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required, fluency in Kiswahili is an advantage.
Specific knowledge, skills and behavioural competencies
- Knowledge on sub-grant management will be a plus;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Enthusiastic and proactive attitude in building partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders and driving results, including at the senior level;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit. Ability to respond timely to queries and provide feedback;
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity and commitment to IDLO's mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS The duration of the assignement is for 1 year, with possibility of extension based on performance and availability of resrouces. The Country Director will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with expected travel across the Country and may be required to work from other locations as determined by the Supervisor. The selected candidate is expected to start immediately. IDLO offers a competitive remuneration and benefits for internationally-recruited consultants including medical and accident insurance, annual and sick Leave. For this consultancy, the ideal candidate will be offered a fixed lump sum monthly remuneration in the range of US$8000 – US$9000 – in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to IDLO - International Development Law Organization career website on www.idlo.org to apply