Kenya Medical Association (KMA) is a voluntary membership organization open to all medical and dental practitioners registered in the Republic of Kenya. It was founded in 1968 and currently has close to 3000 members.
KMA works closely with the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board (MPDB). It has joined its sister organizations within the East Africa region to form a cooperation in the health sector together with the medical regulatory bodies and the Ministries of Health. Under this initiative the three East African Associations formed the Federation of East African Medical and Dental Associations (FEMDA) in which KMA is an active member.
This internship will provide the individual with experience in many aspects of sexual and reproductive health and rights as well as insight into the inner working of organizational management.
The position is available to individuals below the age of 30 years from October 1 2015.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Key responsibilities will be as follows:
- Support the implementation of the KMA/RHRA project work plan in accordance with specifications and funding limitations
- Facilitate and develop reports for trainings and workshops conducted by KMA/RHRA
- Provide logistical support during trainings, workshops, conferences and other meetings he/she will be assigned to.
- Assist in the development of reports, briefs, position papers and newsletters detailing KMA/RHRA project successes
- Actively participate in RHRA partner activities
- Identify, coordinate and document publicity strategies for KMA/RHRA events and activities
- Build and maintain KMA/RHRA’s online presence through KMA’s social platforms
- Build and maintain ongoing relationships and partnerships with the relevant national and county government agencies, partner NGOs and the media.
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned by the Supervisors.
- University degree in social sciences, bio-medical sciences, public health or related disciplines from a recognized university, preferably with a focus in the area of sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Higher qualification will be an added advantage
Relevant skills and experience
- Demonstrated interest in sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Good research skills and knowledge of sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Advocacy experience preferably on sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Must have exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a growing group.
- Outgoing, personable, approachable, enthusiastic, resourceful, and highly organized.
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential matters appropriately.
- Have the capability to multitask and adjust priorities as needed.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Strong command of English and Swahili language
- Non-judgmental attitude and respectful to diversity and different needs and views of others.
Interested applicants should be willing to commit to the internship for six months full time.
Method of Application
Please send your cover letter, curriculum vitae that includes three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com no later than 20th February 2017, with the email subject: Application for Internship – KMA/RHRA Project.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.