If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
In 2006, Peter Kwame and Gabrielle Fondiller carried out a research project on government policies affecting street vendors in Likoni. Realizing the widespread barriers to education in Likoni, by the following year they had founded the Likoni Scholarship Fund and were sponsoring 7 students. Now in 2015, Hatua Likoni
is directly sponsoring 250 students, 150 students in Secondary School and 100 in College and University. Among other projects, Hatua Likoni also serves the wider community through civic education and managing the community library.
About the role
As Fundraising & Communications Coordinator you are tasked with finding, engaging and retaining individual, corporate and foundation funders. Your success in this role will lead to Hatua have a vibrant community of financial supporters who believe in our vision, are well informed about our progress, and giving funds that fully sustain Hatua’s programs and growth.
You will ensure that Hatua Likoni effectively communicates their goals, work, image and financial needs to relevant stakeholders and the general public. The FCC works closely with all team members in order to accurately record all activities and reports and the directors for finalization of all reports, publicity materials, and fundraising opportunities.
Currently, a majority of our funding comes from international funders. For 2018 we want to increase funding from local sources. We are extremely proud of our existing network of foundation, companies and the large number of individuals who have supported us over the years. We aim to retain these donors and explore new funding sources, particularly US based foundations, Kenya based corporates, and individual student sponsorships.
If you are successful, Hatua will add 200 new students per year to the programs, reaching 2,000 underprivileged, deserving youth over the next decade.
Roles for the Fundraising & Communications Coordinator Job
Manage Fundraising Pipeline and Strategies
- Research, identify, vet and prioritize potential funding opportunities
- Create fundraising pipeline for current and upcoming year incl. probabilities of receiving donations from each donors as they change
- Court and cultivate relationships with potential donors via email, phone calls, and in person meetings
Fundraising and grant writing: Raise awareness of the organization’s work, goals, and financial needs.
- Understand all programs to represent the organization to others
- Liaise with the team to identify and conceptualize relevant and realistic programs and goals to communicate to funders
- Develop fundraising strategies to encourage new or increased contributions
- Run campaigns and write grant proposals in order to raise funds or solicit and gather monetary donations or gifts for the organization
- Organize your proposal and report writing cycle in a way that allow submitting them on time.
- Partner with Hatua’s Career Guidance Coordinator to engage companies in Mombasa for donations, internship opportunities for our students and to recruit mentors to engage in Hatua’s programs.
Donor Management and Relations
- Write regular and timely reports to funding institutions or individuals to update them on Hatua’s progress
- Collect impact data from all team members; think through how to communicate any discrepancies from the planned/promised goals
- Respond to all arising questions from donors or potential donors in a way that positions our programs well
- Continue to cultivate relationships with existing donors in a way that encourages them to feel emotionally connected to Hatua’s programs
- Build the student sponsorship program from its current pilot into a systematic and ongoing way of engaging and updating sponsors, including piloting a referral system to recruit new sponsors
- Donor admin: send thank you letters and enter donation details into Hatua’s Donor Management System.
- Manage Hatua’s Donor Management System, keep contact list up to date and seek ways to optimize the DMS by exploring all software features
- Manage own time in relating to the diverse demands of donors and deadlines
- Select stories, photos, and layout for all external reports
- Create a first draft of all reports, ensuring they are professional-looking, highly informative and easy to consume. Then finalize reports with Hatua’s directors.
- Share individualized reports with high level donors
- Regularly update Hatua’s profile & publicity materials
- Share information, maintain visibility and gain support for the organization
- Set and keep deadlines for quarterly newsletters
- Collect content and compose newsletter drafts
- Manage email contact list
Online presence and Social Media
- Review and update our Social Media strategy
- Post regularly on social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook photo albums) to engage our students and supporters
- Publically recognize major donors
- Keep website up to date with current activities
- Spearhead the blog activities in the team and write 1-2 blogs per month on our activities
Managing digital library and general responsibilities:
- Keep running list and descriptions of all of Hatua’s major events/activities
- Ensure we have great evidence and stories that tell our activities and impact
- Organize and backup photos, final reports, proposals or important documents onto an external hard drive and/or Google drive
Update office notice board
- Tracking own progress by monitoring relevant metrics and goals and tweaking strategies as required
- Track social media, newsletter and other numbers
- Use DMS to track and analyze individuals donors, reengaged donors (inactive to active) or significant increases in donation levels, donor retention, increase donations levels, and new donors
- Maintain monthly donation reports and total amount raised
Fundraising & Communications Coordinator Job Requirements
- You are highly passionate about advancing the social sector and you have a strong interest in youth empowerment and education
- The idea of mobilizing and driving resources to a great cause excites you and you are very comfortable asking for money
- You enjoy spending a lot of your time writing
- You understand what makes people tick and you find ways of communicating convincingly
- You can juggle many projects and deadlines and you are organized in your approach
- You have engaged dozens and hundreds of stakeholders in a variety of ways
- You boast impressive fundraising results (and we’d love to hear all about it!)
- You have a track record in retaining and upping donors
- Your great writing skills range from blogs, grant applications, reports to finding the right email marketing subject line
- You are tech savvy and highly computer literate, you use spreadsheets, documents, slides, publisher etc
- Past experience with a donor management system is an added advantage
- Understanding international foundations and/or the business and philanthropic space in Mombasa is an added advantage
You have the cultural fit to work with the team at Hatua Likoni, if
- You are 100% values driven and you want to instil strong values in the next generation
- You enjoy working with and in the community
- You are great team player, people talk about you being helpful and collaborative
- You are able to work independently and bring results in an unstructured environment
- You enjoy diversity and you are generally optimistic about the future
Why work with us?
We get a lot of fulfilment by working with underprivileged youth and seeing them transform their lives over the 9 years they engage closely with us. If you enjoy building deep emotional connections and seeing the impact of your work, this job is for you
Our team has a deep sense of ownership over the organization. Everyone has the chance to take a leadership role and contribute to the organization’s growth
Build interesting networks
We believe in personal growth and you will have a lot of opportunity for career development as the organization grows
We have a strong sense of family within our team and understand the importance of having some level of flexibility around working hours
The successful candidate will start in September or October 2017. You will be based in Mombasa, and work in our Likoni office. You should be ready to commit to this role for at least three years. We’ll arrange a 3-month probation period with learning and delivery objectives.
Method of Application
Apply by filling out the application survey under this link: http://bit.ly/JoinHatuaLikoni
Send your CV and a relevant past writing sample (a proposal, funding application, report etc.) to email@example.com with the subject line “Hatua Likoni – Fundraising”
The selection process will include a personality test and case study.
Interested and qualified? Go to Hatua Likoni career website on bit.ly to apply