Guardianship - We are caretakers of the land, safeguarding endangered species and ensuring the openness and accessibility of conservation for all. Innovation - An innovative attitude is part of our make-up, we empower our people to think the same way and embrace new approaches to conservation. Authenticity - We provide natural wilderness experiences, backed up by scientifically credible conservation and genuine interactions with wildlife. From a working cattle ranch in colonial Kenya, to a trailblazer of conservation innovation - the story of Ol Pejeta is as enchanting as it is inspirational. Today, Ol Pejeta is the largest black rhino sanctuary in east Africa, and home to three of the world’s last remaining northern white rhino. It is the only place in Kenya to see chimpanzees, in a Sanctuary established to rehabilitate animals rescued from the black market. It has some of the highest predator densities in Kenya, and still manages a very successful livestock programme. Ol Pejeta also seeks to support the people living around its borders, to ensure wildlife conservation translates to better education, healthcare and infrastructure for the next generation of wildlife guardians. In 2004, the ranch was purchased by the U.K.-based conservation organisation, Fauna &Flora International (FFI), with the financial backing of the Arcus Foundation, a private international philanthropic organisation founded by Jon Stryker. The land purchase was wholly funded by a $15 million donation from the Arcus Foundation, which worked in tandem with FFI and the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy to secure the 90,000 acres of open Savannah grassland and convert it to a national land trust. The conservation of the natural habitat, located in Kenya’s Laikipia Plateau, ensured the protection of existing rhino, elephant, and other wildlife populations in addition to captive chimpanzees living in a 300-acre sanctuary. The Arcus Foundation also gave $12 million to fund capital and institutional development costs at the conservancy. That initial injection of funding allowed Ol Pejeta Conservancy to fulfill its business model as a Kenyan-owned operation benefiting local community development and economic growth in addition to its impact on conservation. Today, the Arcus Foundation continues to support the conservancy through its membership on the Board of Trustees and the funding of various initiatives. In 2014, Ol Pejeta achieved IUCN Green List status, one of only two conservancies in Africa to be awarded this. IUCN Green Listing aims to define excellence in managing valuable natural areas. We have also been awarded the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence three years running - a testament to the incredible experiences treasured by all who visit Ol Pejeta. In 2015, we published our 2020 Management Plan - which was developed by our staff in consultation with a range of stakeholders, and sets out our vision for the years leading up to 2020, outlining the major projects that will help us to deliver our vision. We want to become an innovative and sustainable model that conserves biodiversity (particularly endangered species) and contributes to economic growth and the improvement of the livelihoods of rural communities.
Place in the Organization: The Deputy Manager – Enterprise will report to the Enterprise Consultant and will work closely with the entire Enterprise team and OPC staff.
Role Summary: The position’s key objective is to ensure smooth and efficient running and management of the Ol Pejeta Morani Restaurant; Pelican house (Accommodation), The Stables (Accommodation, Guest & staff cafeteria), Volunteer Program, Horse Riding activity and Curio shops.
Duties also extend to welcoming and handling of all visitors needs catered by the departments units whilst propagating the mission and objectives of OPC with informative knowledge of activities available and correct conservation messaging.
Specific duties include:-
- Ensure menus provided are achieving a 65-70% gross profit
- Control of costs to include food purchasing costs and monitoring of stock movement through the control systems
- Ensure high standard of hygiene amongst staff and premises
- Assist the OPC purchasing department to set up and manage appropriate purchasing systems to achieve best prices and reliability
- Manage the restaurant and staff therein to include contracts, staff offs and training.
- Be responsible for front of house training to include service for waiters and drinks/cocktail mixes
- Work with the Enterprise Consultant to develop an annual marketing and promotion calendar with the provision of special menus/offers on public holidays and high traffic days.
- Be involved and make suggestions for the marketing of all enterprise promotions
- Report on Repair and Maintenance required in all units
- Provide Weekly Financial report to the Enterprise Consultant
- Verification of the Monthly Financials for all units from accounts department
- Report to Accounts End month closing stock value for all units
- Provide Monthly Units inventory report
- Oversee the development of future projects in the enterprise department
- Any other duties as reasonably requested by the Enterprise Consultant/and OPC management
To be successful in this role, applicants should meet the following criteria;-
- Education: Minimum Degree in Hospitality management/Entrepreneurship or any other relevant course ; Masters will be an added advantage
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working in a hotel, food production set up or in customer care environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Commercial awareness
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills with a high standard of verbal and written English
- Good teamwork and problem solving skills
- Strong administration, operational, planning and execution skills.
Method of Application
Any person who wishes to be considered for this position is requested to submit their application letters stating their current salary together with copies of relevant certificates, testimonials/references and any valid professional licenses to the Head of Human Capital by Friday, 14th July 2017. Our contacts are: Ol Pejeta Conservancy P.O. Box Private Bag, Nanyuki -10400 Or send an email to email@example.com with the mail subject as DEPUTY MANAGER - ENTERPRISE
THE OL PEJETA CONSERVANCY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. ALL POTENTIAL CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.