Senior Software Engineer at Ona Data
Posted on: 11 July, 2017
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in ICT / Telecommunication
View All Jobs at Ona Data
If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Ona is a social enterprise technology company based in Nairobi, Kenya and New York dedicated to developing open source solutions to promote the smarter use of data. We believe technology is a springboard to transform international development, allowing organizations to use data to overcome the greatest challenges and identify the best opportunities.
We're looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change. Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality. We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
Qualities we're looking for
- Thoughtful coder.
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user's problem is the end goal.
- Lifelong learner.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span timezones and cultures.
- You're ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
- Minimum 3 years programming production web applications in Java
- Minimum 3 years programming production Android applications
- Experience programming with APIs and service based architectures
- Experience with databases and their integration into web and Android applications
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
Nice to haves
- Experience with CouchDB or other NoSQL databases
- Experience with the Spring Framework
- Experience working with remote teams
Method of Application
Please send the following to email@example.com
- Note describing why you are interested in working at Ona.
- Examples of your work. Link to your GitHub page, projects you've completed, or your website.
- (bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we've written.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Ona DataSimilar Jobs
- Chief Operating Officer at Arifu
- Legal Practitioner at McGregor Boyall
- Account Manager at Redington Value
- Job Opportunities at Safaricom Kenya - 3 Positions
- Business Development and Sales Executives at TozzaPlus Limited
- Quality Assurance Manager at Tala
- Job Openings at Seven Seas Technologies Group - 6 Positions
- Job Openings at Kapkoris Data Networks