Gender Officer at Mennonite Economic Development Associates
Posted on: 12 July, 2017
Deadline: 31 July, 2017
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Mennonite Economic Development As
MEDA is an international economic development organization whose mission is to create business solutions to poverty. Founded in 1953 by a group of Mennonite business professionals, we partner with the poor to start or grow small and medium-sized businesses in developing regions around the world. Our expertise includes a full range of economic development tools: financial services, improved technology, business training, better access to markets and equity investment. Our work most often focuses on women, youth and the rural poor. We believe that all people deserve the opportunity to earn a livelihood and that unleashing entrepreneurship is a powerful way to alleviate poverty.
- Ensure that the gender strategy, guidelines and framework are in place to guide project implementation and ensure that all activities promote gender and provide equal opportunities among project beneficiaries.
- Guide project execution to ensure that activities are implemented according to MEDA’s gender strategy
- Contributing gender perspectives to the design, implementation and evaluation of project activities
- Ensuring mainstreaming of gender across the different project sectors
- Create a capacity building plan on gender equality principles for MEDA staff and key stakeholders
- Work with project clients (SMEs and SEs) to identify emerging challenges and promote best practices in gender -equitable participation
- Contribute to improving the business environment for SEs and SMEs as well as bringing a gender perspective to mitigation strategies as outlined in the Risk Register.
- Identify and strengthen engagements and collaborations with Kenyan organizations that focus on gender equality
- Collaborating in writing annual work plans and donor reports.
- Contribute to assessing concept notes, grant awards and MOU’s/contracts for SMEs to ensure that gender-equitable criteria are met.
- Participate in the initial site visits for SMEs in the M-SAWA’s project pipeline to ensure strong integration of gender into the SMEs initiatives.
- Continuously assess gender context, assumptions and changes in the working environment to ensure that the project focus, strategies and activities on gender equality remain relevant and to propose adjustments when needed.
- Develop monthly, quarterly and annual implementation plans for gender equality and mainstreaming in coordination with other project staff.
- Ensure that project components and activities implemented are gender sensitive as outlined in the project implementation plan and in line with the requirements from Global Affairs Canada
Qualification, Experience & Skills:
- Must have at least Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Gender and Development Studies or any other related course.
- Masters qualifications in Social Sciences or related field will be an absolute advantage.
- Have at least five years of relevant working experiences in a non-governmental organization focusing on gender issues and business development.
- Understanding of: business decision-making in competitive market environments; inclusive sub-sector development and value chain development facilitation methods.
- Sector experience in any of these :agriculture/agribusiness, construction and extractive sectors is a requirement.
- Must be able to work comfortably and effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to maintain constructive working relations in multicultural environment.
- Ability to make timely and considered recommendations or decisions based on analysis of available data, information and evidence
- Willingness to travel 40% of the time to the project areas for project monitoring.
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, values, mission and purpose.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications via email with the title “Gender Officer-7/2017” to email@example.com
Applications should include: a cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements for this position, an updated resume providing details of three work related referees.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA)Similar Jobs
- Job Opening at CARE International
- Job Opening at CARE International
- Senior Programme Officer at Christian Blind Mission (CBM)
- Technical Advisor at ACTED
- Analyst at International NGO Safety Organisation
- Logistician at International Committee of the Red Cross
- Finance Assistant at Action Against Hunger USA
- Communications Director at Conservation International