Ongoza is a Kenyan non-profit that recruits high-potential young social entrepreneurs and provides up-to-two years of highly subsidized, customized weekly business advisory, market linkages, and debt financing to scale their employment and social impact.
Job Description: Your role is to build and execute the systems around Ongoza’s fundraising strategy from beginning to end and provide oversight over Ongoza’s marketing team.
You will prospect for new potential donors, build and execute cultivation and stewardship plans, and write proposals to drive Ongoza’s growth.
As part of the leadership team, you will play a role in shaping and financing the growth of the organization’s strategy.
This role will initially be based in Kenya, but there may be opportunities to take on a more senior donor-facing role over time in Kenya and/or the US as you build out your team.
It reports directly to Ongoza’s Executive Director with one direct report.
Applications open until September 31st, 2017.
Roles and Responsibilities
Please note other responsibilities may be required based upon the growth of Ongoza.
- Develop and deliver a comprehensive and coherent fundraising strategy to drive Ongoza’s growth.
- Set and achieve realistic time-limited fundraising targets, agreed in consultation with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, and report on progress against these targets at regular quarterly meetings.
- Build out, manage, and execute on Ongoza’s CRM (Pipedrive) to maximize effective engagement with existing supporters and take new contacts from “cradle to grave” (initial engagement to repeat giving).
- Ghost-write and send emails on behalf of the Executive Director and Board of Directors to cultivate new relationships and steward existing supporters.
- Carry out prospect research to develop a comprehensive fundraising database that captures all relevant information, as well as handling all administrative aspects of fundraising.
- Maintain a database of grant opportunities and take the lead in writing grants.
- Lead the writing and execution of all Ongoza public fundraising campaigns.
- Develop, host, and provide back-end logistics management of events in Kenya and the US to attract new supporters and donations.
- Create a sustainable and diverse fundraising portfolio, with funding streams including individuals corporate, community, events, trust/foundations and other grant-makers, with appropriate priorities.
Communication and Media (30%)
- Take overall responsibility for Ongoza’s brand and public presence
- Get Ongoza in the news and the public eye.
- Take overall responsibility for the Ongoza website, social media, annual reports, and all promotional materials
- Create a quarterly newsletter to share with supporters, partners, and funders
- 3-5 years of experience securing funding for non-profits from a variety of different streams, preferably in the field of social innovation and entrepreneurship. Consideration will be given to similar experience in a business development, public relations, or marketing role (essential).
- Demonstrated ability to understand and write for an international audience (essential).
- A strong portfolio of communication and awareness-raising material (essential).
- Excellent personal contacts and connections with potential major donors and supporters (desirable).
- A relevant qualification in fundraising, sales, or marketing (desirable).
- You are a systems-builder. You are a process-oriented person who loves building and automating systems to optimize efficient work. We have some systems already set up, but you will be asked to build more structures as Ongoza and your team grows.
- You have excellent planning, time management and organizational abilities. You are meticulous in your attention to detail and your ability to build structure around chaos. Active management of Ongoza’s CRM will be an essential part of your role, and it will require constant attention.
- You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You are an independent self-starter who flourishes in a changing environment and can manage yourself. You have excellent collaboration, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- You are curious to the end. You are a consummate researcher who enjoys hunting down that one, last, hidden piece of information that will help you find a new prospect, frame a message, or clinch the sale.
- You make things happen. You have a proven track record of meeting targets on time and within budget. You are creative, solutions-oriented, and willing to put in the time it takes to do a great job. You follow through.
- Most of all, you believe in our vision and mission – the power of youth-led social businesses to transform Kenya.
Method of Application
Please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com answering the below questions, and include DM2017 in the subject line.
Interviews on a rolling basis until filled.
1) Take the list of bolded bullet points under “About YOU” and under each, tell us what evidence you have that you fulfill this criteria. (max 500 words)
2) Assume you succeeded and are now Ongoza’s Development Manager. Find a foundation that isn’t yet supporting Ongoza but would be interested, and describe in 1-2 sentences why you think it is a good fit. Now assume that Ongoza’s ED just met the head of that foundation for the first time at a conference; describe in detail the process you would undertake (using the ED where appropriate) to secure funding (max 1 page.)
3) Write two emails to one of Ongoza’s significant supporters: one asking them for $50,000 to lead a programmatic expansion of our business advisory and one thanking them for their contribution (max 1 page).