If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
ICRH Kenya is an independent organization established in the year 2000. We deal with many aspects under the wide umbrella of 'Reproductive Health': Mother and Child Health, Sexual and Gender-based Violence, Sexually Transmitted Infections, HIV and AIDS prevention, treatment and care, Adolescent Health, improving Services in resource-poor settings that serve also the vulnerable populations.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Advocacy Adviser for Africa will be responsible for:
- Supporting legal and policy analysis of reproductive rights issues, particularly in the Africa region;
- Supporting legal and policy research on international human rights law and standards;
- Supporting the design and implementation of advocacy strategies before the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights (ACHPR) and other strategic regional bodies, and before UN bodies and mechanisms including through drafting legal memos, advocacy documents and thematic submissions;
- Representing the Center before regional and international human rights mechanisms and organizing briefings and other events as necessary;
- Monitoring developments within relevant regional and international human rights mechanisms, developing strategies for and drafting reproductive rights submissions before them, and providing input on resolutions, reports, and other documents;
- Bringing key reproductive rights issues to the attention of regional and UN bodies and mechanisms, including Special Procedure mandate-holders, and cultivating and maintaining strategic partnerships;
- Supporting research and the drafting of publications and other materials to advance program work;
- Working in coordination with staff from the Global Legal Program and other programs and in collaboration with civil society organizations, academics and other external stakeholders, to further advocacy objectives at the national, regional and international levels;
- Supporting the Regional Director and other team members in providing technical assistance to non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other stakeholders;
- Representing the Center externally on matters related to reproductive rights through public speaking, and as required, through engagement with the media;
- Supporting the Center’s communication strategies by drafting blogs, op-eds and other documents to position reproductive rights;
- Meeting with key governmental officials as necessary to advocate for inclusion of reproductive and sexual rights within initiatives at country, regional and international level;
- Promoting collaboration on reproductive and sexual rights and health and related issues through outreach to both NGOs and government, in order to create greater awareness and stimulate positive action;
- Helping identify, build and maintain partnerships with NGOs, and with key stakeholders, as needed;
- Assisting with the planning, logistics and implementation of events with partners, other NGOs, and with regional and international bodies held by the Center;
- Supporting the Regional Director in preparing presentations for conferences and meetings;
- Assisting the Senior Legal Adviser with the supervision of legal interns, volunteers, pro bono lawyers and legal fellows, and any other institutional responsibilities; and
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Strong commitment to the Center’s mission, purpose, and values;
- Knowledge of international human rights, women’s rights and Africa regional human rights mechanism;
- Capable of complex legal analytical work;
- Advocacy experience at the regional and international levels, including as part of NGO coalitions;
- Excellent writing, editing, research and oral advocacy skills;
- Very detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with colleagues in both Nairobi and the US, to multi-task, and to work under pressure;
- Fluency in English required; fluency in French desirable;
- Degree in law required; and
- Minimum 3-4 years related professional experience.
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Center for Reproductive Rights career website on reproductiverights.applicantpro.com to apply