If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre – part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
- Design and implement bioinformatics pipelines and sequencing methods for quality control, assembly, analysis and interpretation of high throughput sequence data
- Implement platforms for visualizing data outputs
- Design, establish and manage relational databases for storage, sharing and efficient retrieval of information
- Communicate results to the team, students and to researchers via presentations.
- Identify bioinformatics knowledge gaps and needs and develop solutions to address them
- Participate in bioinformatics training workshops for scientific staff at ILRI and students.
- Provide technical guidance and supervise interns and students leading bioinformatics projects at ILRI
- Publish results of research in high quality peer-reviewed international journals and attend meetings and conferences
- Participate in the development of new research proposals to mobilize bioinformatics funding at ILRI
- A PhD in Bioinformatics or a related field with a strong interest and experience in laboratory methods development, biological data analysis and biological interpretation of results
- At least 5 year post-doctoral experience in eukaryotic pathogen genomics
- Strong experience working with various data types, pipelines, validation, databases, and dealing with challenges in world of bioinformatics
- Programming skills including Perl, R, Python, Unix/Bash, C or C++. Familiarity with relational databases
- Working within a UNIX environment
- Experience in setting up bioinformatics workflows for large-scale DNA and RNA sequencing data sets using software pipelines in an HPC environment.
- Experience in integrating tools into pipelines and workflows and optimize their interoperability, efficiency, and usability
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams and experience working in developing countries
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Position level: The position level is 4C.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Method of Application
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 17 August 2017. The position title and reference number B/AHH/07/2017 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Interested and qualified? Go to International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) career website on ilri.simplicant.com to apply