Editor at CIO East Africa
Posted on: 26 July, 2017
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in ICT / Telecommunication
View All Jobs at CIO East Africa
CIO EAST AFRICA is the leading magazine for the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) industry in East Africa, published by African eDevelopment Resource Centre in conjunction with the International Data Group (IDG), a world-renowned publisher of legendary brands.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Plan the contents of publications, Web and Mobile Apps according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
- Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements for all the channels – Web, Mobile and Print.
- Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Meet frequently with artists, typesetters, layout personnel, marketing directors, and production managers to discuss projects and resolve problems.
- Supervise and coordinate work of reporters and other authors.
- Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations to the publisher.
- Select local, regional, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items' significance and interest value.
- Interview and hire writers and reporters or negotiate contracts, royalties, and payments for authors or freelancers.
- Arrange for copyright permissions.
- Assist in identifying advertising potential for the publication
- Liaise with the sales and marketing team to develop marketing collateral and business development ideas
- Assist in developing advertising copy for clients
- A university graduate with a bias in IT, Communications, Journalism or a business related degree from a recognized university.
- A credible journalist with at least 5 years’ experience, three of which must have been spent as an editor or sub-editor.
- A go-getter with exceptional communication skills and a variety of contacts within the ICT sector, with a sharp business mind.
- Familiar with the production processes of both print and online publications. Strong knowledge of Joomla Content Management System.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to CIO East Africa career website on www.linkedin.com to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about CIO East AfricaSimilar Jobs
- Services Sales Executive at Dell
- Business Development Support at Visa
- Operations Director at Nokia
- Services Sales Executive at Dell
- Multi Vendor Services (MVS) Sales Specialist at IBM
- Vendor Account Manager at Safaricom
- Senior PR Specialist at Telkom
- Director Sales at Tejas Networks