Social Inclusion and Gender Co-ordinator at Send a Cow Kenya
Posted on: 27 July, 2017
Deadline: 7 August, 2017
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Send a Cow Kenya
End poverty in the heart and on the land. Our approach to ending poverty is unique. We work hand in hand with families in Africa. We understand that poverty is more than just the day to day struggle of toiling on land that fails to produce. Many people believe that poverty has become part of their personality, and hold out little hope for change. We provide livestock and training in natural organic farming practices alongside courses in gender equality, conflict resolution and more. It’s a package that works. It's a package that families pass on to others. Send a Cow helps African communities find the riches in their own back garden so they can grow their own food to feed themselves and their families every day.
- Purpose of the Job
To lead the social inclusion and gender component of Send a Cow Kenya (SACK), contributing to the development and delivery of a high quality SACK programme that has a commitment to ensure that poor and vulnerable people are at the forefront of its work. He/she will aim to ensure women and men as well as the elderly, young people, people living with disability, HIV benefit equally from SAC’s development efforts. The Social Inclusion and Gender Coordinator will in liaison working with SAC(UK) group participate in reviewing/amending current policies, indicators and working practices, as well as contributing to the shaping of new approaches.
- Key Responsibilities
- Provide strategic input and advice on social inclusion and gender across the work of Send a Cow (K) and work within the country programme objectives to ensure that social inclusion and gender equality is mainstreamed throughout all projects
- Work closely with PM and Research and Impact team to ensure all community assessments undertaken look at all aspects of social inclusion and identify key issues within each supported community
- Support and contribute to new project ideas and the development of new projects and ensure social inclusion and gender issues are addressed appropriately in project design
- Collaboratively formulate implementation strategies and training modules that enables programme engagement within the wider communities outside of the self-help group model including piloting and evaluating interventions at community level to complement and enhance the Self Help group (SHG) approach.
- Work with all members of the SACK programme to coordinate and maximize efficiency of projects activities that enable social inclusion and gender equality.
- Build the capacity of project staff and implementing partners including Peer farmer trainers (PFTs) to enable them help participating families, groups and communities develop a shared vision.
- Work with Send a Cow staff and partners to train selected diverse groups in group management, group dynamics, record keeping, leadership skills, governance, conflict resolution, constitution, internal monitoring, savings & credit schemes and networking etc. and the use of appropriate methods/approaches for different categories.
- Support project participants especially women to raise their aspirations beyond subsistence farming.
- Work with projects implementers to help project participants work out how best to share workload and decision-making to achieve their vision.
- Undertake analytical and advocacy work and have responsibility for management of networks and partnerships which deliver specific measures.
- Ensure the achievements of objectives and results set out in the Country Strategy by leading on the development, coordination, implementation and monitoring of social inclusion and gender especially ensuring focus on people with disability and women’s economic empowerment is advanced.
- Provide advice on appropriate social inclusion and gender indicators in the performance measurement framework and support staff in the monitoring and reporting of programme results/outputs and objectives against agreed indicators to ensure programme is on track.
- Support, PFTs, partners and other collaborators to internalise Send a Cow values and projects implementation model
- Research and share relevant information with all the members of the SAC programme on an ongoing basis
- Support and contribute to proposals, fundraising and public engagement activities as required
- Lead within the social inclusion and gender component in organizing and managing logistics of meetings, project workshops, tours, or other activities as required.
- Work closely with SAC Group(UK) staff on all aspects of social inclusion and contribute to meetings and organisation thinking and learning from the field
- Undertake specific additional responsibilities from time-to-time, as may be agreed upon with the line manager
- Person Specifications
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Undergraduate qualification in rural sociology or equivalent from a recognised institution
- A post graduate degree in gender women’s economic empowerment or rural livelihoods or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant
- work experience managing a gender and social inclusion portfolio
- Experience in project cycle appraisal, management and monitoring
- Evidence of good analytical and problem solving skills
- Comfortable working within a multidisciplinary, multi-cultural team
- Experience of using the internet to undertake research
- Experience of delivering projects, effective report writing and meeting deadlines
- Proven experience of generating impact at community level as well as SHG level.
- Experience of working in an NGO or similar organisation
- Experience of writing or participating in successful proposals
- Creative eye for producing fundraising materials
- Understanding of different types of charity funding and different types of donors
Method of Application
To apply you are asked to :
- Complete the application form (CVs will not be considered).
- Please also answer, in no more than one side of A4, the following question: What are your three most significant achievements?
- Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 7th August 2017, 1pm (EAT)
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Send a Cow KenyaSimilar Jobs
- Global Procurement Lead – International Programmes at Save the Children
- Special Needs Education Trainers at Education Effect Africa
- Communication and Knowledge Management (CKM) Officer at International Potato Center (CIP)
- Regional Director at INTERSOS
- Consultancy at UNICEF
- Migration Specialist at Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Team Lead - Clinical Services at IMA World Health
- Project Officer at Haki Mashinani