Cornerstone Preparatory Academy began in 2013 with an intentional focus to help end this crisis, beginning with a research-based, innovative school in the strategically located Great Rift Valley in Kenya. Beautifully surrounded by mountains and well-resourced, our flagship campus can be found near two truck stop towns on the Trans-African highway, in an area populated by people trapped in generational poverty. Local kids in the school’s catchment zone have already suffered many challenges, such as fatherlessness, family substance abuse, high crime rates, sexual and physical abuse, abandonment, and lack of prior schooling. Malnutrition, untreated illnesses, and high HIV rates also block the progress of children who might otherwise succeed. We believe transformational education is the answer. By replacing barriers with proven solutions in one key community, a core group of Kenya's most impoverished children can be raised to be the agents of change that influence tomorrow. Our mission is to provide all that is necessary, for every child we serve, at every age, so that they will grow up to be world-changers. We focus on helping children find their great worth and unique gifts. At Cornerstone, each child has every provision to develop his or her God-given potential. Students are emerging hopeful, confident, and equipped to impact their community for good. The foundation of everything we do, the Cornerstone, is the transforming love of God
The Duties and Responsibilities of the teacher will include but not limited to:
- Plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences
- Develop schemes of work and lesson plans, while establishing and communicating clear objectives for all learning activities
- Keep updated with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities
- Prepare classroom for class activities and be able to use relevant technology to support instruction
- Identify, select and use different instructional resources and methods in educational activities
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment
- Measure and evaluate individual student’s overall and holistic performance and development
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and other assignments
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development
- Prepare required reports on students and activities
- Manage overall student behavior and discipline in and out of class by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures, in accordance with established disciplinary systems of the school
- With guidance from the chaplain, perform certain pastoral duties including student support and counseling students with academic problems
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as social, sporting activities, clubs and student organizations
- Participate in departmental, staff and parent meetings
- Attend scheduled teacher training sessions and participate actively
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and student needs
- Communicating, consulting and co-operating with other members of the school staff and management
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications for ECD and Primary (P1) Teacher
- Minimum Certificate in Diploma in Early Childhood Education or Primary Teacher Education (P1) from a recognized college
- At least 5 years teaching experience at ECD or primary school levels respectively
- Willing to work under high pressure and for flexible hours
- Must demonstrate passion for teaching and children
- Extra training beyond P1 level an added advantage
- Talented in co-curricular activities.
- Portrays leadership skills and is a team player and good in interpersonal skill.
- Must have had C+ and above in K.C.S.E.
- Energetic, flexible and open minded.
- Teachable, self-motivated with self-confidence
- Have a desire to face challenges and grow in new ways.
- Excellence in communication with good command of English language.
Method of Application
Suitable and qualified individuals should drop hard copy applications at Cornerstone Gate OR send CV and Cover letter detailing suitability for the job and salary expectation, addressed to the Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com , before or on Monday 31st July, 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Cornerstone is an equal-opportunity employer.
No canvassing is acceptable and any candidate known to be involved in such practice will be disqualified.